We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Yellowstone

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in Yellowstone

We plan to visit for 4 days during the memorial day weekend. I understand that it can be much cooler in higher elevations. We are not hiking/camping. We plan to drive around mostly during the day. Do I need to bring a winter jacket too (30s-40s F) ? Can I assume the weather is going to be above 60s most of the time ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,630 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Yellowstone

Look at the weather forecast before you come. We were there in 2007 and it was warm and sunny and in the 60's and came back in 2008 and it was cold and snowing.

Here is a link to weather conditions over the years- this was last year's data but info from previous years is included-

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KP60/2012/5/25/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Yellowstone+National+Park&req_state=WY&req_statename=Wyoming

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Yellowstone

I find, rather than a heavy winter coat, lots of layers work best, thus being able to adapt to any temperature by putting on & taking off layers as the weather can change abruptly:

base layer; wool sweater or shirt; fleece jacket or vest; waterproof -breathable jacket with hood; warm hat; sun hat; & thin gloves.

If you look at the Top Questions for Yellowstone, DE Voyaging has a great list for "What Should I Pack for YNP"

It snowed on me last year this time period!

Have fun planning!

Edited: 12 May 2013, 14:28
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Yellowstone

It's possible to get a wintery squall that time of year but not so likely. A medium or light jacket should be just fine. We were there yesterday and even with lots of snow still on the ground, a winter coat would be way too much. The air is warm, the sun radiant and unless you just happen to hit a strong storm then you'll be very comfortable in lighter clothing.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Yellowstone

<< Do I need to bring a winter jacket too (30s-40s F) ? >>

I second what denalicat said about layers. I wpould add raingear.

<< Can I assume the weather is going to be above 60s most of the time ? >>

It would be unwise to assume anything about the weather in Yellowstone in May.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Yellowstone

Not a good assumption. Mountain springtime. Could be beautiful 70's or a blizzard or anything in between. On my June trips it snowed the second or third week a third of the time. Snowed on in dog days of August.

Dress in layers, rainwear.

Idaho
Level Contributor
235 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Yellowstone

We were there this weekend and temps varied between

mid 50s near the lake to low 70s near Mammoth. That being said I agree with wearing layers and expecting anything but a winter coat may be a bit much. Don't forget sunscreen!

7. Re: Weather in Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 05:18