We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

Hey! Flying into SLC from Philadelphia on Saturday. Spending the night there. Driving to Jackson Sunday morning, staying there night there. Seeing GTNP Sunday and Monday morning or just Monday morning before the drive into YNP. Staying at Lake Hotel and Cabins in a cabin (a yellow one). YNP from Monday until Friday, so I have 4 nights to play with. Any suggestions? Already have planned to see Hayden Valley(Any idea how long of a drive from where we are? Doesn't look too far.) and the Lower falls/canyon. Plan on seeing geysers in the Southwest of the park (Grand Prismatic, old faithful, etc.) ... What else is a must see? Lamar? I also just bought a 16gb memory card in addition to the 4gb one I already have. Hopefully taking a few nice hikes as well. Thanks for any help/suggestions you might have for us. Will report back after our trip with a report and pictures! Thanks!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

Sounds like you used the park interactive map suggested earlier, so you can see the easy/short drive through Hayden Valley from Lake to Canyon. But be prepared to stop and linger at viewpoints, best way to find/observe wildlife. Especially if there are folks with spotting scopes, they might have eye-popping views; inquire.

Yes, see Lamar, at least once, if you wish to see wildlife (and, it's very scenic).

I know this has been said in your earlier posts, but I'd still try to split lodging and get something in the northern part of the park, or at Old Faithful to see the geyser corridor. 2 nights Canyon/Lake, 2 nights OF. I don't mind backtracking, some do, but lodging closer to your major days' drives means, perhaps, less driving but also helps to avoid driving at night, dangerous for you and for wildlife.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 22:12
Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

Do you shoot RAW? If you do, pick up a 32gb one as well. Unless you plan on unloading the card every night. I know it's late, but I'd make sure to get another battery, even if you have a car charger.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

What do you mean by RAW? I have a pretty simple point and shoot Cannon Powershot 720 IS. I am in no ways a photographer.. I was planning on charging my battery while I sleep. If worst comes to worst, my brother has the same camera, so I can borrow his battery in case something happens to mine. Thanks! Also, too late to split lodging, don't plan on being in the room long anyway being as we plan on being up with the sun everyday and home when the sun goes down.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

<< I have a pretty simple point and shoot Cannon Powershot 720 IS. >>

Okay, then don't worry about RAW. As long as you're dilgent about charging each night, as well as emptying the card, you should be alright. But if you have a chance, as cheap as memory cards are, get more memory. There have beendays when I filled two cards and kicked myself for not having more memory.

<< ... home when the sun goes down. >> That's the way to do it; don't drive after dark.

ENJOY!

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

Thank You!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

Post a trip report when you get home with photos!!

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

Definitely will. Looking forward to telling you all about my trip!

8. Re: Final Post before our trip.. any last minute suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 06:18