We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Time

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Time

Here we go, from all the advice received on here I've put togeter our itinerary. There will be 3 of us, myself, my wife and our toddler. Booked into Old Faithful Inn for the duration.

I know ideally we should divide up the stay, but having looked into it, and looked at distances, logistics etc I've decided for us it will be best to stay in one place.

We are travelling June / July.

So, comments please:

Day 1 Expect to arrive in Jackson Hole around 3pm, drive to OF

Day 2 Upper Geyser Basin, perhaps Geyser Hill in the morning, back to OF area for lunch, set out deeper into Upper Basin in the afternoon. Dinner OF Area

Day 3 - Midway and Lower Geyser Basin, Lunch, then drive to Norris Geyser Basin and spend afternoon here. I think Midway (Grand Prismatic etc) is a couple hours max? Then there are the various drives as you proceed north towards Norris.

Day 4 - West Thumb Area morning, mud volcanoes, lunch (maybe a lunch box), falls area in the afteroon. I was considering doing dinner in Grant or Lake areas this day but everyone says dont drive after dark. Not sure when sunset is this time of year.

Day 5 - Drive to Mammoth Hot Springs, spend day at Mammoth and drive back to OF in early evening

Day 6 - More Upper Geyser Basin (anything unable to do Day 1), after lunch, drive via GTNP to Jackson.

I've tried to really space things out so we can build in a slow pace / downtime with the little one.

All comments welcome, restaurant recommendations, places to stop / picnic, places that would be good to stop with the little one and let her run about a bit etc.

Thanks

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Time

Day 5 - perhaps you are including, I hope, Lamar Valley, this day; you'll have time to explore the valley all the way to Cooke City (it's a scenic drive for several reasons).

Your wildlife watching will be enhanced by the slow pace you have set, stopping and waiting at viewpoints in both the Lamar and Hayden Valleys.

Don't recall if the following was provided to you:

Yellowstone Newbies - Things You Need to Know http://tinyurl.com/7e62x72

Edited: 13 May 2013, 16:17
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
988 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Time

Hi bobdivest.

I just want to throw out that one of the draws of Mammoth is the opportunity for Elk viewing - however, the prime times to see them are at dusk and dawn, which would mean that there's a possibility that you might not see them if you don't overnight there. You're also only fifteen or so minutes away from the North Entrance, with the famous Roosevelt Arch which you should see if you're that close, and a prime opportunity for Pronghorn viewing.

I would also make time somewhere for at least a quick view of the Lower Yellowstone falls from Artist's Point, as it's one of the most iconic views in the whole park system.

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Time

Thanks guys, any input from the DE's in here?

If you think I can take in Lamar Valley with the itinerary as above then great, I really wasnt sure if the above was actually too busy or not? It's difficult to judge.

Thanks again

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Time

In regard to your sunrise/sunset times, type Yellowstone, Wy & your exact dates:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/

Here's a great map with travel times:

alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_map_pics/yel…

You could always go with the flow once you get up to Mammoth. If the family is doing well & feels like it, then drive out into Lamar. Soda Creek Picnic area at the far west of Lamar has been mentioned as a great spot to let a toddler run.

I'm not at DE for Yellowstone but agree with Voyaging who is a DE.... Lamar valley is a very scenic drive & has rich wildlife potential.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 15 May 2013, 15:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Time

Fantastic, thank you. Soda Creek is on the list -

My assumption was that the terraces could take all day, how long should I allocate? Is 1 day in Mammoth relaxed enough i.e. would the terraces take 2-3 hours, and then as you say Denalicat we could see how we feel and take it from there?

Lamar wasnt included Voyaging / bardgirl1 as I wasn't sure there'd be time, if there is - fantastic!

Any other comments on other days? Upper Terraces, too little time? Norris, how long here?

Thanks

Edited: 15 May 2013, 15:41
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Time

You'll spend far more time in Lamar Valley than at Mammoth. The latter is a good walkabout and education about the formation (and changes) and yes, the Elk; the former should be good for wildlife and scenic beauty. I suggest the drive through to Cooke City as there are Mt. Goats, the scenic narrowing valley, Golden Eagles, etc. and you can dine at either Cooke City or Silvergate.

I know you are set on one location, but in reading your post, you posit reasons actually for, not against, splitting lodging locations (except for the simple logistics of moving). So, if there is any lingering question, and to greatly reduce your driving, I'd split your lodging, keeping OF and considering Canyon/Lake/Mammoth/Roosevelt. This would enable you to stay at various sites longer w/o the risk of driving to your OF lodging in the dark. And it means that you can take the young one back to your lodging more readily if you so desire.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 16:35
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Time

Oops! Need more coffee LOL. Soda Butte Creek Picnic on the far EAST of Lamar!

yellowstone.co/videos/picnic/sodabutte.htm

I too like to split up my locations in Yellowstone.... it's huge!

Edited: 15 May 2013, 16:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Time

I know I know. I was so torn with whether or not to split it up. We are flying in and out of Jackson hole so by spending the latter nights in mammoth we'd end up having a good 4-5 hr drive back to Jackson when we leave the park; and I'm keen to avoid that with a toddler.

I'd rather have the drive to mammoth and back on the day we go. Looks like 1.5 hrs?

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Time

any further advice on the above itinerary and the distance Old Faithful to Mammoth?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Time

Old Faithful to Mammoth 1.5 hour is probably the best possible, without any traffic or stops and doing the speed limit. Max is 45 between Old Faithful and Norris and 30 between Norris and Mammoth. With slower sections of 25 and 35. Two hours is more likely.

If you go to Lamar valley from Old Faithful I find the quickest way OF-Norris-Canyon-Roosevelt-Lamar rather than via Mammoth.

Also if you are trying to tour all the points between OF and Lamar (for example), it is usually better to not do all the stopping on the way out. Better to pass up places on the way out and get them on the way back. So you don't end up far away and have a longish drive back without breaks at the end of the day when everyone is tired and fussy.