We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

YNP Website has Canyon - Tower Rd opening May 24th

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Just saw this on the news, as well, and felt it worth a bump for vacationers with a trip coming up very soon.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Just fyi - I made a trip over there this morning and discovered the road still closed. Checked in with the ranger at the station at Roosevelt and learned that there was ice on a blind curve in the road and they decided to keep it closed until that melted. They said they'd check again at 10:30 (at this point it was 9:15 and I did not have time to wait, so I turned back towards Mammoth). Not sure if this will be a daily occurrence for a while but it's something to keep in mind until it warms up out there.

Also, the stretch between Tower Fall and the Tower Jct. is open, but under construction. I knew this, but somehow missed that it would be completely unpaved. I had no problem driving over it in my compact car, but just in case that affects anyone's plans, I thought I'd mention it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some weather related early morning temporary closures of Dunraven Pass. OWebcams at Old Faithful showed frosting or ice on the boards this morning

That section just north of Tower Fall is already narrow with very small overlook areas and usually congested. I can magine with construction and a gravel surface it will only be worse - all summer.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Drove it yesterday & it is all open- luckily no construction work since it was memorial weekend.

Coushatta, Louisiana
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Is this pass on the main road or is there a sign for it? I've been seeing small bits of information about this but not enough to know much. Will be in Yellowstone June 3 and 4 and would love to see this.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Dunraven Pass is on the upper east loop rd between Canyon and Tower Fall / Roosevelt-Tower Jct.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Here is the YNP website road construction page - with a map and details

nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Just notice the YNP website road construction page for Tower-Roosevelt to Tower Fall Rd construction seems to have been slightly revised compared to what it was a few weeks ago. It no longer states "Expect gravel surface". Anyone know if it's been paved?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

The section of which Adventuritis speaks is indeed unpaved. When I talked with the ranger at Roosevelt on Friday she said expect pilot cars & waits of up to 30 minutes after this holiday weekend.

One can also simply drive up to Dunraven pass & back down to Canyon, geting the magnificent views, to avoid the construction zone.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dunraven Pass - Opens May 24th

Denalicat - Thanks. A week or two ago the YNP site actually stated "expect gravel surface" which it no longer states. I was hoping that maybe it was paved to possibly reduce the delays.

I'll go through anyway. I'm leaving Canyon about 9, was going to do about 5 or 6 overlooks, then stop at Tower Fall, lunch at Roosevelt and then a Stagecoach ride before heading into Lamar Valley. Was going to return to Canyon via Mammoth and Norris Jct by 9 PM.

If I can get our group of 13 moving earlier I will or I'll just skip Tower Fall as it is usually congested with little parking anyway and may be worse now.