We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestions?

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
277 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestions?

I normally don't ask for itinerary help on Trip Advisor, but the experts on this forum have amazingly detailed suggestions. I've locked down everything I can and now I'm trying to figure out how to spend the days. Any suggestions would be great. We're traveling the first week of July with two children ages 3 and 4.

Day 1- Billings to Cody-Rodeo at 8pm

Day 2- Cody to Yellowston/Staying at Canyon

Day 3-Staying at Canyon

Day 4- Staying at OF Inn - Dinner Reservations at 6:00

Day 5 - Staying at Roosevelt - Cookout

Day 6-Staying at Roosevelt

Day 7-Bear Tooth HWY to Billings

Thank you in advance.

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

Bump

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

IMO, micromanaged itineraries are counter-productive in YNP.

What are you most interested in seeing and experiencing? Once you identify that, you can make a rough plan - just be prepared to change it :-) The park is laid out in a "Figure-8" and all the main attractions are either on it or accessed from it. So it's not very difficult to navigate - and it doesn't make much difference what direction you drive the loop - you'll see great sights wherever you go.

If you haven't already checked it out, the YNP website has lots of helpful information: www.nps.gov/yell Be sure to click on "View Map" to better visualize where things are located.

Enjoy your trip!

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
592 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

You've got great lodging so making an itinerary is pretty easy. Check out the Canyon area, driving the North and South rims, Mud Volcano and Hayden Valley. Then Midway, Lower and Upper Geyser Basin as well as Fountain Paint Pots while in the Old Faithful area. You can go through Mammoth on your way to Roosevelt, and through Lamar on your way out of the park.

Make sure you arrive in plenty of time for your cookout. There are no refunds if you miss it.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

Heypaula is right on. When you get to the park, go to the visitor center and talk to the rangers. They know the park better than anyone. You can't do it all in short time, but no matter what you do in Yellowstone, you will have a fantastic trip.

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

I've been trying to just figure out how much to do in any given day. We'd like to say the major sites and fit in some scenic hikes. I'd really like to make it up Mt. Washburn, just not sure if I would have a hard time hauling the kids up there.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

Personally, I wouldn't do the Washburn with kids that little, unless you plan to carry them up and back in packs. It can also be quite windy up there, and afternoon rains often move in. You can drive to the parking lot and get a great view.

You don't have to do all the look-outs on both sides of the Canyon. I would think little ones would get tired of that. Pick a couple- if you are up the the return climb, Brink of the Falls is amazing. Artist Point of the other side. That will help if they are on scenery overload.

There are great places to take an icecream break- get some on the first level of the Old Faithful Inn and take it to the second floor deck to watch Old Faithful.

Be sure to use plenty of sunscreen and have plenty of water when walking in the park- especially the geyser basins. I have seen many red kids, and expect the entire family was sorry that night!

Have your cooler with food and drinks, so you can stop when they need to. There are many great picnic areas that will allow a little more freedom. You will need that, as most of the park you will have to have a tight grip on the little ones.

Storm Point Ranger Hike is often recommended, and the kids would probably like that.

Relax- whatever you don't see this trip, you keep on the list for next time! Have a great trip!

Edited: 25 May 2013, 21:42
Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

Thanks. It's our first big trip with the kids, I can't wait!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

We have a pic of our kids (they were not that young however) in front of the Fishing Bridge Visitor Center. Our son especially LOVED the Visitor Centers. So, that pic was repeated another year. Now, I have one of the empty rock they sat on, as we travel alone, lol. Fishing Bridge has a nice beach behind the VC, but the water is too cold for swimming. You won't enjoy the trip if the kids aren't, so just follow their lead and keep that next time list growing. HInt: They can apply to work in the park someday- my daughter did :)

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

Fairy falls and storm point sound like good hikes with the kids, as long as they aren't closed because of the bears. Is it possible to get information on the ranger programs offered at the different locations prior to arrival?

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Suggestions?

Fairy falls and storm point sound like good hikes with the kids, as long as they aren't closed because of the bears.