We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

Hubby & I will be at YS Aug24-31... I'd like to get us a couple of pairs of those pants that have the zippers where you can convert them into shorts. Has anyone tried these?? What brand(s) have you tried and/or recommend?

Thank you!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

I have a pair of Colombia which I like.

I also will wear shorts/capris and in the cooler mornings put a flexible pair of Nike pants over the shorts/capris, then when it warms up, off come the long Nikes. Then, just like the layers of vests/fleece/ jackets these pop on and off depending on the temperature. As that sun begins to set, those Nikes get put back on over my shorts/capris to cover my legs.

This probably wouldn't work if you were a big hiker, but little 'ol me it works wonders.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

I also wear Columbias for fishing here in Florida. While they might be a bit lightweight for YNP at times, in August they should be fine.

As Atinor said though, and what most of us do in Yellowstone, would be a wind/rain pant that could be pulled on over shorts, jeans, trail pants, or whatever you might be wearing, then taken off as needed. They are lightweight, and they take up little or no room in a daypack.

I could not stand for long hours at a scope in May like I do without my wind pants. Dressing for Yellowstone in general at any time of year should be all about layering.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

Thank you both very much!! I'll check out the Columbia brand.

Hubby plays golf, so he can use these for golfing too.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
Missouri
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

REI and Ex Officio both have convertibles. Check their websites.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 20:21
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

got columbias for awesome price on amazon.com!!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

<< those pants that have the zippers where you can convert them into shorts >>

Convertible hiking pants. Very useful here in the summer, when the day starts and ends cool but can get pretty warm in the middle. I would see what I could find online at Sierra Trading Post.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

Also check out Campmor.com

They may have limited sizes at times, but sometimes some great deals.

I also just got a great deal on 2 Columbia vest with the lightweight thermal liner at the Columbia web site itself. Called women,s Mighty Lite lll vest.....with the Omni heat reflective liner for $44.95 half price of what I've priced elsewhere. Looking forward to using it in Sept.:-)

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
Missouri
Erie, Pennsylvania
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

i have two different styles of Prana convertible pants that i love. they are a little pricey but fit great and are well made.

9. Re: Convertible Pants to Shorts---any sugguestions on what brand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16