We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 16-May 28

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,128 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report May 16-May 28

....but not from Yellowstone!

I've been in Italy, my first trip there, and had a wonderful time. It doesn't look like they do as many trip reports on the Italy forum as we like here in Yellowstone, but I went ahead and posted one if anyone is interested. (They also have pages of posts for each day, so they may just get lost in the fray!)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k65423…

It was a far cry from Yellowstone, both traffic and sights. I will say the food and wine were better in Italy than in the greater Yellowstone area, lol!

I had such a good time! I do have a trip to Yellowstone planned in June, so will do a real Yellowstone trip report then.

Glad to be back!

Pam

Nature Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Welcome back!! You were missed. Everyone did a great job filling in to help with itineraries but you are the expert. I got a little worried that something bad had happened when you weren't posting, then I found a question posted in the Italy forum and figured that must be where you were. Welcome back. Off to read your trip report. :-)

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
886 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Rome, Florence, lucca... some of my favorite places in the world!! Glad you had such a good trip and ate well. Hopefully you avoided some of the high season crowds. In the summer months I've found the crowds (not to mention the heat) can be oppressive.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Welcome back, Pam.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,128 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Thanks!

Yes, we missed some of the crowds. It was very hot in Rome the first 3 days (well, hot for us from N. Idaho where it snowed while we were gone and there were freeze warnings, lol!) then cooled off. We were comfortable in Rome after that, but all the vendors around the Colosseum/Forum areas as well as the guides had on winter jackets! It was quite chilly in the other places, altho in Lucca during the day it warmed up during the day.

I can't imagine the Vatican Museums, St Peters, the Colosseum and the Uffizi with peak summer crowds. We were in the Uffizi first thing in the morning and the local guide kept saying as we walked thru the long gallery areas that they are usually packed wall to wall and you don't really get a chance to look at the lovely ceiling work. It was very uncrowded for our visit!

Pam

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Welcome back Pam! Glad you enjoyed your trip. We were in Florence last year in September (just for one day) and I have never experienced tourist throngs like it (and I've been to Disney World in August!). I think it's because it's quite a compact city, that the popular sites just get jammed. Turned me off it a little bit to be honest, but hopefully one day I'll get back for a longer visit at a quieter time of year. Rome is a tough city to beat, it's just stunning.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Pam,

So you survived the pickpocket gangs and fake Gladiators chasing the hapless tourists on the streets of the Eternal City. Now time to conquer rest of the Europe.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,128 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Supratik, I just cracked up at the fake Gladiators. Especially the one *commuting* to work on a bike in his costume! Very funny, but he went by too quick for a photo.

Yes, I agree about Florence and the more compact size increasing the crowd level.

Pam

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Welcome back Pam....I'll have to go read your trip review. When in June will you be in the park? Grandson and I will be there June 12-17th.

Deb

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,077 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report May 16-May 28

Welcome back and so glad you had a great trip to Italy. Thanks for posting the link to your trip report.