We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining plan questions

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Dining plan questions

From what I've read, the food inside the parks isn't great. We plan to have breakfast and lunch out of the cooler. Budget is a consideration, but we do want a nice hot meal once in a while. I've made the following reservations, but am worried about getting back to the cabin before dark. Also, we have two boys, ages 8 and 6, so hopefully these places are kid-friendly. Does this seem like a good plan:

Day 1- OF lodge cabin-- reservation at OF Inn for 5:45

Day 2- OF lodge cabin-- not sure where we'll eat

Day 3- Cody

Day 4- Canyon cabins-- not sure where we'll eat but I understand the food is particularly bad, so any suggestions are appreciated

Day 5- canyon cabins-- reservation at Lake Hotel at 5:30-- will we make it back safely before dark? I thought maybe we'd be in the Hayden valley area so this would be convenient

Day 6- Roosevelt cabins-- probably eat at the lodge

Day 7- Roosevelt cookout!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining plan questions

The food we had from Lake Hotel Dining Room was actually pretty good. Not cheap but about what we pay when we go out to eat anywhere other than fast food.

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining plan questions

Not sure there is anyplace to eat in Yellowstone that is not kid friendly. Honestly my favorite place to eat at Old Faithful is what used to be the Hamilton Store, a bit down from the Inn. Good hamburgers, nice people. With kids, the cafeteria might not be a bad idea. Food is not great, but it is edible and the kids would get a wide variety to choose from. I am not sure what time of year you will be there, but I would think you would be fine getting back from a 5:30 reservation.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining plan questions

Day 4, eat at dining room or cafeteria. Or the parks' General Stores, at the counters.

Day 5, yes.

The cafeteria food "can be" as good as that served in the dining rooms, depending on what is ordered (at least you can see cafeteria food first, then decide among the choices}. Canyon food is, from year to year, probably no better nor worse than other locations; It depends on who is running the show at each location. It's sort of like the lodging, at YNP, it's about a place to crash, so unexpectedly good food is a bonus.

The cafeterias provide pretty efficient service; they won't have the ambiance of the dining rooms.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 14:36
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining plan questions

Agree- your timing should be fine on the reservations.

I would eat at the General Store counter at Canyon with the kids. Consider eating early enough to go the the ranger program. Another option is the grill at Fishing Bridge General Store. Had excellent chicken strips there. And milk shakes :)

Also the Lower Store at Old Faithful for that night, one of our regular places. Or possibly the Geyser Grill (OF Snow Lodge)- we had OK burgers and pretty good fries there this winter- it has more of the fast food feel.

Consider a later cooked breakfast and not a hot meal at night if it fits some day. You can always fit in an ice cream before bed to make up for the picnic supper.

Saw good reports on the NY Strip and Salmon from Lake Hotel already this year, so that is a good sign.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining plan questions

Thank you for the advice. I guess we will see how the days go, but it's always nice to have a plan in mind and know the options. I think milkshakes and ice cream are good for dinner. It is vacation!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,166 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining plan questions

^ ^ And breakfast!! lol

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining plan questions

Summer Dining Opportunities

Restaurants and Cafeterias

Canyon Lodge Cafeteria

Canyon Lodge Dining Room

Grant Village Restaurant

Grant Village Lakehouse Restaurant

Lake Yellowstone Hotel Dining Room

Lake Lodge Cafeteria

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel Dining Room

Old Faithful Inn Dining Room

Old Faithful Snow Lodge Restaurant

Old Faithful Lodge Cafeteria

Roosevelt Lodge Dining Room

Light Meals and Fast Food

Bridge Bay Marina Store

Canyon: General Store, Adventure Store, Lodge Picnic Shop

Fishing Bridge General Store

Grant Village: General Store and Mini Store

Lake: Hotel Deli and General Store

Mammoth Hot Springs: General Store and Terrace Grill

Old Faithful: Basin Store, Photo Shop, BAC Store, Four Seasons Snack Shop, Pony Express Snack Shop, Lodge Snack Shop

Tower Fall Store

for Xanterra. you can check out hours and menus here yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/Dining-76.…

just remember, you don't go to Yellowstone for the food!

Mentioned in this post
Canyon Lodge Cafeteria
Canyon Lodge Cafeteria
535 Reviews
Canyon Lodge Dining Room
Canyon Lodge Dining Room
432 Reviews
Lake Yellowstone Hotel Dining Room
Lake Yellowstone Hotel...
1,009 Reviews
Lake Lodge Cafeteria
Lake Lodge Cafeteria
559 Reviews
Old Faithful Inn Dining Room
Old Faithful Inn Dining...
2,092 Reviews
Roosevelt Lodge Dining Room
Roosevelt Lodge Dining...
506 Reviews
Grant Village
Grant Village
76 Reviews
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,647 Reviews
Terrace Grill
Terrace Grill
300 Reviews
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Pony Express Snack Shop
Pony Express Snack Shop
5 Reviews
8. Re: Dining plan questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...