We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

Hi Friends,

Could someone please review my below itinerary for 3 full days in Yellowstone.

Day 1, will be entering through South Entrance, (early morning)

West Thumb , Old Faithful , Grand prismatic spring,The Lower Geyser Basin

Staying west Yellowstone (3 nights)

Day 2,

Norris Geyser Basin , Mammoth Hot Springs , Lamar Valley (may not), Tower Fall

Day 3,

Lower Falls and Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone , Mud Volcano Area , Yellowstone Lake via Hayden Valley.

Return to hotel...

Is this feasible ? Or am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance !

Bruce.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

Looks good!

On day 1, there are other things you can hit on the way to west if you have time. you may be calling all of that the lower geyser basin?

On day 2, if you want Lamar, go ahead and go there first. You won't be sunrise, but animals can be any where, any time. You could then down to Tower Falls, and back to Mammoth, catching Norris on your way back to West.

On day 3, you can go on past Fishing Bridge and get some cool views. Stop and walk on the bridge and look for wildlife.

You want to be back to lodging by dark, so watch you time at Hayden especially. www.sunrisesunset.com

Have a great trip!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

Looks like you did not make your earlier trip, hope this one will make up for that.

FYI, lodging in West will add considerably to your driving time for YNP. You'll be putting on many, hundreds of, miles inside the park and then will have to consider leaving the park early enough to avoid driving in the dark, dangerous for you and the wildlife on the roads.

While lodging inside the park, with a few exceptions, is "rustic", "plain", it's really only a place for crashing at the end of the long days. So, if open to lodging options:

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside and outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

Yes - why stay in west Yellowstone 3 nights? that will get old. Stay in the park & other fun gateway towns like Cooke city and Cody, too.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

thank you thebergs , yes I will try to go Lomar Valley and on day 3 I will visit fishing bridge.. thank you...

Voyaging thanks for the information...I have been trying to book inside park for so many days, but didn't have luck so just thought of staying out and drive more...

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

Bruce, as the article says, just keep calling Xanterra (don't rely on the website). That "redial" button on your phone, if you have one, will be a huge help. :)

You'll have a good trip either way.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

When we decided on short notice to take a trip in June a few years ago, there were no rooms on the YNP lodging website but when I phoned they had 5 nights just where I wanted to be that trip. Don't give up and keep checking website plus calling as there are cancellations. Consider Gardiner or other location near to park although I am personally not partial to West Yellowstone as too far, too busy and too commercialized......not why we go to Yellowstone.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

yes, keep checking for cancellations but never fear- you can have a great trip from West Yellowstone, many CHOOSE to stay there and get along fine. There is more driving, and you need to watch you time to be back before dark, but it doable and can be a great vacation. If no cancellations happen, you just know to plan ahead next trip, lol.

8. Re: review of itinerary Yellowstone National park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:17