We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
517 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

Looking to hike around the canyon area. Which trail would be better for views and picture taking? Th north or south rim? They both sound like moderately easy hikes.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

They are, do both.

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
517 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

Probably that won't happen. Which would you choose of the two?

Edited: 16 June 2013, 18:45
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

My wife and I only hiked along the south rim, and made a loop route with the trails away from the rim. It was a great hike. The route took in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, both falls, a couple small lakes, a thremal area and some open meadows, plus great views all along the way. We did not see any wildlife, but the folks that we saw along the way indicated that they had seen coyotes and deer, so there are opportunities. Here's the link to the review I posted on the hike:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60999-d5363…

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

That's a tough call between the two sides. Overall I think the north rim has better photo opportunities. The south rim has the famous Artist Point but the view is quite distant and you'll need a telephoto lens unless you want to encompass more of the canyon in the photo. Also on the south rim, Uncle Tom's Trail is a decent view but the viewing platform at the bottom can get crowded and wasn't a great photo in my opinion. The various viewpoints on the north rim were much more spectacular. The Brink of the Lower Falls must not be missed and allows you to really feel the power of the falls. Check out Lookout Point and Red Rock Point for more great views. Then you can hike out to Inspiration Point for good views of the canyon (better in afternoon light). I think the trail goes beyond there but we didn't go that far.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

I read OhioHick's review of the trails they did. Sounds like a great hike, and that you recommend carrying bear spray. What if we just stuck to the main rim trails, is there a route to do where bear spray not necessary? Still trying to get my head around where/when/if... We are in the park for such a short time, I'd prefer not to do hikes requiring the spray, but wonder how limiting that will be?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,795 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

seattle- you don't have to walk the rim trails to see the lookout points, you can drive from one to the next. maybe this will help? nps.gov/features/…canyon.htm

tntmac1989, not sure of your travel dates- some trails are closed or not in good condition in the spring, so check with the rangers before heading out.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 16:07
Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

That's good to know thbergs, but we do want to do some hiking (maybe more like "walking")...just not sure if we want to hike in an area where bear spray advised..and maybe that is everywhere? I'll have to "research it" some more!

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

Thanks for the map link, by the way....

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

We just did Canyon last week. We got good advice on the order of our hikes/drive from a ranger in Welcome Center. We got a trail guide there and followed his suggestions. Worked out well. Arrived at South Rim trail about 11 a.m. and did upper falls view then started on south rim trail (same parking lot). Decided to do Uncle Tom's steps. (45 minutes. 300 steps down and up to base of lower falls.) Awesome. A workout, but manageable. One member of our party did not like being able to see through the metal grid steps and sat out the trip down on one of the benches on the stair "landings" about halfway down. Since we were pretty bushed once we got back up to south rim trail, we decided to drive out to Artist Point instead of walk it. Easy and doable. Loved the point. Lots of pics and awesome views. As we returned toward Grand Loop Road, just before bridge on south rim drive, we turned left into Wapiti trail head and had lunch in very pleasant picnic grove. Continued up toward north rim drive. Did brink of Upper Falls walk and then North Rim turnouts. Mama Bear and cub seen at one of these north rim turnouts. Our kids decided to have rest break at canyon. We drove them back to Canyon Village (about 5 minutes). Had ice cream at General Store. Dropped them at cabin and we old folks headed back to do Lower Falls Brink hike off North Rim Drive-- many switch backs down and LONG climb back out (about an 1.25 hours, including 30 minutes viewing time). We enjoyed it very much. Could see Uncle Tom's Stairs across the way. Returned to Canyon Cabins about 5:30.

You could opt out of extended hikes (Uncle Tom's and Brink of Lower Falls) and do both rims easily by driving and walking in less than 3 hours, in my opinion.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon of YNP hiking

You will not need bear spray for the north and south rim trails. I have only done the south rim but there were times where the road was not too far away and there were also a few other people on it with us. If you make the loop, doing the Clear Lake trail, I would take bear spray.