We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

Boston...
Level Contributor
193 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

Would appreciate your thoughts...I had posted quite some time ago about our itinerary but as a result of some flight changes, we had to adjust a few areas of our trip. So, your thoughts on whether or not we are packing too much in would be appreciated. For reference, we are a couple in our late 30s...love to drive, see the sights...

8/24 - fly in Denver to see sister, rent car, spend night in Denver

8/25 - drive to Mt Rushmore; stay over

8/26 - Rushmore, stay over

8/27 - drive to Canyon Lodge

8/29 - Canyon Lodge

8/30 - OF Lodge

8/31 - drive to SLC

9/1 - depart SLC

Thanks again for any thoughts/insights!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,997 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

Two comments-

Hope you have checked one way car rental because it can be very, very expensive.

Also drive from Mt. Rushmore to Canyon will be a long day- about 8 1/2 to 9 hours of just driving- this does not take into account stops for restroom breaks or lunch.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the park and your visit with your sister.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

3 nights Canyon, 1 OF? I am assuming the 27-28 and 29 for Canyon? Looks like a good split. Agree, early start from Rushmore, as you don't want to drive int he dark. www.sunrisesunset.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
193 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

Yes, we planned for the car and I actually found a (somewhat) decent rental rate using our Costco membership...helped with last year's AZ/NV/CA trek as well!

Boston...
Level Contributor
193 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

I knew I missed a date in there...thanks. It should be:

8/24 - fly in Denver to see sister, rent car, spend night in Denver

8/25 - drive to Mt Rushmore; stay over

8/26 - Rushmore, stay over

8/27 - drive to Canyon Lodge

8/28 - Canyon Lodge

8/29 - Canyon Lodge

8/30 - OF Lodge

8/31 - drive to SLC

9/1 - depart SLC

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

For a short trip you allocated a nice number of your days in Yellowstone which always makes us here on the forum happy! The Yellowstone part looks good to me! (haven't done Denver to Rushmore to Yellowstone so can't comment on that!)

Pam

6. Re: Too much planned? 8/24-9/1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:19