We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes--better repellents?

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes--better repellents?

I know this can vary somewhat person to person, but wondering what the experiences have been for those recently in the park. Are there certain repellents that work better than others? Is it just all about the DEET, or do other factors help? Living in the Pac NW, we truly have almost no mosquitoes and never ever use bug spray. I notice our kids, who haven't been historically exposed to bug bites much, really react badly when we're back in Wisconsin, say, and get bit. I have some standard Cutter's and a bottle of Natrapel citronella spray from past vacations....but wondered if it was worth getting something more "industrial" in strength. I hear the skeeters in the area can be ferocious.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

I haven't been into Yellowstone this summer, but I have been into GTNP and large parts of the wilderness near Yellowstone. My impression is that it's an average year for mosquitoes, deer flies and horse flies. In higher elevations, above or near the tree line, or where it's dryer and windier, bugs are a zero problem. In lower lying areas or boggy areas with thick foliage, they can be plentiful.

We use spray with as high a deet content as we can find, labeled "deep woods". I always wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt, so there's not a lot of skin exposed. And we spray the horses for biting flies. All that seems to work pretty well. My impression is that our local mosquitoes don't leave nearly the bite that their cousins do in Florida or Minnesota/Wisconsin, where they are known to carry off small children.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

Personally, I love Mosi-Guard which I learned about in planning for a trip to Africa. It's a natural product and I've found it to be very effective not only on safari but also here with our mosquitoes in Wisconsin and those I had to deal with in Yellowstone last summer (thankfully only 1 day in YNP).

It is a product used largely by travelers in/from the UK but you can find it online on a variety of websites.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

I'll see if I can find Mosi-Guard and give it a try. I know that deet is pretty strong stuff, not to be used in higher concentrations unless you've already had all your kids. I mostly spray it on my clothes, neckerchief and hat, so maybe that's a little safer.

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Hey TimeshareVon--I'm a native Milwaukeean myself. Wauwatosa, actually, which is Potowatomi for "little firefly", but I often suspect it really means "large mosquito". I just hate the aftermath of the mosquito repellents, and the thought of the 2 days we'll be traveling between the park and Seattle with all our DEET smelling clothes...uck. That's why I'd rather use the citronella spray, but my sense is it won't do the trick as well. Maybe I need to add a few large ziplock bags to my packing list and one more set of clothes designated to be DEET free...

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

Truthfully, after a week spent riding a horse on a pack trip, I always thought the deet makes my clothes smell better.

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

Ha ha! No doubt, though I've always liked the leathery horsey smell...but never did a week long trip like you do.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 01:33
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

If only the smells accumulating on my clothes during a pack trip were of the leathery horsey variety. A tack room will indeed smell of old leather and saddle soap and sometimes gun oil. Unfortunately, the most prominent smell on a week long pack trip is horse sweat.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

The mosquitoes are indeed out in force this summer, although I can't personally compare to other years since I've usually avoided high season travel here.

I have ordered some Cutter Lemon-Eucalyptus repellent off Amazon (not available locally) after much research into alternatives to DEET, which I am trying to avoid. I did break down and buy some DEET product locally to hold me over. I'll try to report back on its effectiveness after the Cutter natural stuff arrives. According to the sources I researched, Lemon-Eucalyptus is the only natural formulation to get a thumbs up, so to speak, from the CDC.

st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

I hate the feel of bug spray even though it is sometimes a necessary evil. I had a can of off smooth and dry off bug spray in my purse that I forgot to take out.The spray leaked out and melted the white patent leather on my purse onto the console of my car. This made me wonder about spraying it on my body too many times. I carry the off towlettes on vacation. They work well if bugs aren't too bad.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes--better repellents?

That's pretty compelling evidence that the stuff is bad news!