We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

hey all,

so we managed to plan for a ynp and gtnp trip at the very last minute..... like 5-6 days before departure. problem is that left too little time to plan wisely and properly.... also thats didnt leave us with much options in terms of where we flew to or stayed at !... so i am asking u for help in coming up with a decent itinerary for the trip. wht would be a good trip plan to follow. some background to help you

a) we are a reasonably fit couple but we will be straddling a 16month old.

b) this is our first trip to the area

c) we will be driving from pocatello, id to the park via the west entrance. we have 2 nights stay at big sky resort, Montana and 2 nights at togowtee lodge, moran, wy. (honestly i m just thankful we actually managed to find rooms without having to give up our retirement fund !!!!)

d) will have a car throughout.

all inputs very welcome. and any tips/planners/ideas equally welcome.

thanks so much

am

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,402 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

I hope your 16 month old is a good car rider and will sleep well in the car because you will have a lot of windshield time with your plan.

First- why Big Sky? There are plenty of places a lot closer in West Yellowstone that I just checked and showed some availability plus there are some new Explorer Cabins that just opened. There is also road construction between Big Sky and West Yellowstone which will add time to your drive.

Also check in park lodging thru Xanterra- people cancel all the time. You will save yourself a lot of driving by staying in the park imo.

YNP is huge- the size of states of Delaware and Rhode Island so there is lots to see and do.

For your YNP days-

Day 1- try and do some of the north side of the park- Mammoth and Lamar Valley, etc.

Day 2- geysers and Old Faithful

Pack a picnic lunch and plan to spend the whole day- but do not drive at night in and around the park- too much wildlife.

Day 3- you can drive down thru YNP and catch some of the east side of the park- Hayden, Artist point, Lake area

Day 4- Grand Tetons NP- Jenny lake, Morman row, Snake River overlook, etc.

Here is a website with map of some of the more popular spots to visit-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

You will love this part of the country- it is beautiful and our favorite place to visit. Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip!!

Let us know if you have more questions.

CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

I still see huge amount of vacancies in the park in the next a few days(8th-14th), and the lowest rate is $69 at OF. Don't understand why you have to book all your nights outside.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
769 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

I'd like to echo the other posters and encourage you to look for in park lodging. It is definately possible to find rooms in the park even at the last minute because of a very liberal cancellation policy. I think you may enjoy your time much more if you chose to lodge in the park. It allows you to be in areas (like the geyser basin at old faithful) early and late after much of the crowds have dispersed. It also greatly cuts down on driving times each day allowing you to maximize your touring days!! It's great, for example, to roll out of bed at canyon and have a five minute drive to the overlooks. At old faithful you can literally walk out of your cabin or room and watch the geysers.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

thank you so much..... when i checked (multiple sites and multiple times) late last week, those were the available accomodation options within my max budget.... also, at the time of booking i didnt truly grasp the travel time i will add on as a result. now i regret, but since dont have a choice i am going with a mindset that let this be my primer of a trip... i will come back with my child when he grows up and do a better one :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

i m stumped, since all of u say of vacancies.... all the travel sites i looked at showed me nothing..... i spent two days hooked on phone calling hotels....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

carol, i will be out of this place by 8th.....i booked, like days befre my trip

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

also peachbelle, next time i have this trip in mind, u will be my expert to go to...... and i will use the atlanta connection to get the best answers ;)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

What travel sites are you using? For Yellowstone use only

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodging-71…

Click thru every location, every level of lodging.

Also try West Yellowstone and Gardiner Montana.

Pam

9. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 04:21
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: last minute yellowstone trip happening - inputs needed

book park lodging through Xanterra- and only Xanterra. http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

as the date nears, stalk the site to see who is cancelling last minute. Also, call during hours- not everything is on the website. 1.866.GEYSERLAND (439-7375)

Now, if you don't get it, enjoy your time, travel safe. Driving in the dark is not a good idea. www.sunrisesunset.com