We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

Tupelo
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

We were able to change our flight plans, and I did get to add my extra night!! I have reservations at Mammoth for our arrival on August 3rd. We should be landing in Bozeman around 12nn.

Our original date of arrival was August 4th with reservations to stay in Red Lodge that night.

I just received an email notification that a room has become available in Red Lodge for the 3rd also, which previously was not available.

My question is should I keep my reservations in Mammoth or opt to spend two nights in Red Lodge? We passed through Red Lodge in 2011 on our way to drive the Beartooth and really loved the town, but I am not sure what all there is to do there.

I am sort of leaning more towards keeping the night in Mammoth as planned, but I would love to know your recommendations as well!

Thanks much!

4 weeks from today!!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

sorry- a bit confused, can you clarify? Your choice is First Night Mammoth, Second night Red Lodge or 2 Nights Red Lodge? And you are flying into Bozeman at Noon?

Tupelo
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

Sorry for the confusion. With our original flight plans, we were scheduled to arrive on Aug 4th and had the reservations for Red Lodge. We are definitely keeping that night in Red Lodge. When our flight changed, we got to add an extra nights stay. I tried to get reservation at same place in Red Lodge for extra night, but they were booked. So, when a night came available at Mammoth, I booked it. Now, there is a night available at Red Lodge for the 3rd. We really like the town and are trying to decide if we need one or two nights in Red Lodge. Not sure if that makes sense! LOL! We are scheduled to arrive in Bozeman at 12nn.

Thanks much

Orange, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

I am not a native to this area, so I do not know where Red Lodge is located. I have stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs in the past and am doing so again this summer. I love this area. If you stay there, you will also love this area and be inside Yellowstone, which will give you much more time to explore than if staying outside the park.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

Red Lodge is ne of rhe park. Between Billings and the Beartooth highway.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

How much time do you have for Yellowstone? That might be my deciding factor.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

If you like Red Lodge you already know the answer to your question. I like Mammoth. Red Lodge is not a mountain town in my eyes, more of a cow town. Nice, but not Yellowstone.

Tupelo
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

Yep, there is just no place like Yellowstone! So, I think we will keep our reservations at Mammoth and use that afternoon to explore the Mammoth area, then head out early the next morning for Beartooth. Since we have such an early flight that morning, we will most likely appreciate the shorter drive to Mammoth vs Red Lodge too. This will give us 5 nights inside the park. We will have part of Sunday and Monday to explore Red Lodge before heading back into the park for Roosevelt. We just were not really sure what all there is to do in Red Lodge. The last time we were there, we stopped at this neat little ice cream shop and had the delish huckleberry ice cream! But of course, that was on my to do list at basically every stop! Ha!

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

I like your decision :) denalicat can fill you in on what there is to do (and eat, lol) in Red Lodge!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
811 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

We had an amazing dinner in red lodge at a place called Bogarts. We really didn't know what to expect there but their Mexican food was sensational. We still talk about it.

10. Re: Extra night in Mammoth or Red Lodge??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:17