We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

I took a solo trip for 7 days and 6 nights to Yellowstone and Grand Teton and it was my first time to either park. I flew into Billings and rented a car for the entire duration (Hyundai Sportage SUV). Thanks to everyone who provided their advice/comments prior to me leaving!

Link to a very long trip report with some photos: http://txpdtravel.blogspot.com

Quick summary:

Sat., June 15 – Land in Billings in the morning. Drive Beartooth Highway to Yellowstone. Hike the Yellowstone River Picnic Trail, Lost Creek Falls, and Hellroaring Trail (to the suspension bridge). Stay at Roosevelt Roughrider Cabin (1 Double with a shared bath).

Sun., June 16 – Visit Sulphur Caldron, Mud Volcano, Artist Point, Brink of Upper Falls, Brink of Lower Falls, Lookout Point, Grand View and Inspiration Point. Hike the Lamar River Trail, Trout Lake, Tower Fall, and Chittenden Trail of Mt. Washburn. Stay at Canyon Frontier Cabin (1 Queen with bathroom).

Mon., June 17 – Visit Artist Point, Uncle Tom’s Trail/Point, Upper Falls View, West Thumb Geyser Basin, Lewis Falls, Moose Falls, Oxbow Bend. Hike the Pelican Creek Trail and Elephant Back Trail near Fishing Bridge. Stay in Grand Teton at Signal Mountain Lodge Rustic Cabin (1 Double with bathroom and fireplace).

Tue., June 18 – Visit Oxbow Bend, Mormon Row, Kepler Cascades, Black Sand Basin, Firehole Lake Drive, Lower Geyser Basin/Fountain Paint Pot, Midway Geyser Basin, and Biscuit Basin. Hike Schwabacher Landing and Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point/Cascade Canyon. Stay at Old Faithful Inn Old House Room (1 Queen with a shared bath).

Wed., June 19 – Visit Upper Geyser Basin and Firehole Canyon Drive. Hike Mystic Falls, Fairy Falls, and Harlequin Lake. Stay in West Yellowstone at Evergreen Motel (1 Queen with bathroom).

Thu., June 20 – Visit Terrace Spring, Gibbon Falls, Artist Paintpots, Norris Geyser Basin, Roaring Mountain, Sheepeater Cliff, Golden Gate, Mammoth Upper Terrace Drive, and Mammoth Lower Terrace. Hike Ice Lake Trail and Beaver Pond Loop. Stay at Mammoth Springs Frontier Cabin (2 Queens with bathroom).

Fri., June 21 – Visit Gardiner/Roosevelt Arch, Undine Falls, and Blacktail Plateau Drive. Hike to Wraith Falls. Drive Chief Joseph Scenic Highway back to Billings for early evening flight home.

Wildlife Sightings – Red Fox, Bison (and calves), Pronghorn, Bighorn Sheep, Black Bear (and cubs), Grey Wolf, Mule Deer, Elk (and calves), Mountain Goat, Osprey, Muskrat, Marmot, Snowshoe Hare, Great Blue Heron, Canada Geese, Sandhill Crane, Mountain Bluebird, Dusky Grouse, Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrel, Uinta Ground Squirrel, Mallard Ducks, Cliff Swallows. other birds/ducks that I couldn't identify.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,068 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Great trip report and photos!! Thanks for sharing with us and so glad you had a nice trip.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

FANTASTIC trip and trip report. Wow......you really packed a lot of stuff into your trip! I bet you needed a vacation to rest up from your vacation. ; - )

Here is a pic of the mountain goat north of Gibbon Falls that we got on June 15th. My grandson and I set up our scope and had lots of fun letting people look through it to see the goat. You could see it chewing its cud like it was 50 feet from you.

…photobucket.com/albums/ad123/Deb1741/Yellow…

Did you see any mountain goats on Beartooth Pass? When we came back to Billings on the 17th there were two herds with kids just north of the ski area. We usually see them south of the ski area so were excited to have them in an area that we could walk out to and take some pics.

Glad you had a great time. Since you like hiking so much have you gone to Glacier National Park yet? If you haven't you need to start planning a trip. The hiking there is spectacular.

Deb

PA
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Loved your long report & pictures!

We took our 1st trip to YNP & GTNP a week after you did & I already want to return... soon!

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

You were there the week before my family. I expected it to be cooler - in the morning, during the day and evenings....it was very mild and warmer...and the kids loved that. Great trip report and pics. Feel free to take a look at mine.

http://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com/

- Jay

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Fantastic report and stunning photos...loved every detail!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
883 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Wow what a nice report!! I had such a good time reading it. You seem to have really made the most of your time and I can't believe how much wildlife you saw on the very first day. I also loved hearing about the crow 'cooking' his dinner. I second your feelings of occasionally wishing the animals would charge the dummies who get to close.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Very nice report. We were at Roosevelt the exact same time you were. That was my birthday. If you noticed a 4 yo blond boy, with two tired old looking parents, that was us lol. I loved your photos. Where did you take the photo of the trout on Trout Lake? Were they all by the shady outlet, or just along the bank?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Thanks guys - it was an amazing trip.

Deb - love your picture of the mountain goat. I didn't see any on my drive up Beartooth as I wasn't really looking. I was taking in the scenery. I would've loved to have combined Glacier NP into this trip, but I didn't have the time. It's looking like it will be 2015 before I can get up there.

Jay - nice blog. I think your kids will appreciate it as a digital scrapbook. I like to re-read mine when my mind needs an escape from work.

Bluebird - I scanned back through my photos of Roosevelt and didn't notice any parents chasing a blond boy around. I really like my little cabin there. At Trout Lake, the fish were on the north side of the lake, just after crossing the footbridge. They were right up to the shore and just kind of hanging out. Not sure if it is spawning season or not.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,123 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

I'm with everyone else, terrific report and excellent pictures. I really love the fox video. Awesome!

I always crack up at the ski lift up on Beartooth. I KNOW it's there, but it always takes me by surprise. I went over early the morning you did. I was alone at Rock Creek Vista...well except for the herd of chipmunks that rushed my car!

I like the idea of ice cream after breakfast. If it is huckleberries it actually counts as fruit.

You saw and did so much on your trip!

Pam

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - June 15-21

Loved your long trip report TXPD (and yours too Jason!) I just love all the detail. Makes me so excited for my September trip! You saw a fantastic amount of wildlife, if I got to see a quarter of that I'd be delighted!