We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

I thought it would be iconic to stay in the OF Inn and have been watching to see if we can get in. We currently have two queens with a bath in the OF Snow Lodge.

Do I understand this correct: Old House Rooms are in the main building closest to the lobby - these are the oldest but most affordable rooms. Geyser Side and West Wing Front Side all face towards the Geyser and the other rooms East/West Standard could face undesirable areas?

I have been reading reviews that make me wonder if I should just stay put and enjoy the amenities at the OF Snow Lodge. If I do stay put, is there a particular area I should request or avoid if possible?

Thank you!

What would you do?

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

You are correct on the locations of the rooms in the Inn, however you are not guaranteed a geyser view even if you're on the geyser side. If you can get an old house room I would switch, if not then I would stay put. The more expensive rooms are very similar to your current reservation. I do not believe they have a mini fridge like the Snow Lodge.

The Old House rooms are smaller, most have no bathroom (it's down the hall) and can sometimes be a little noisy. However, being able to spend the evening in the Inn and not walk back to the Snow Lodge would be a bonus. I prefer character over amenities. They will be hard to snag so you'll have to be diligent.

st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

We liked Snow Lodge. It was easy to walk over to Old Faithful to look around and have a beverage on the deck of the second floor and watching Old Faithful erupt. I ask for a quiet room at the Snow Lodge. We were at the end of the hall on the second floor I think. We had a king room. Ask to not be above the trash dumpsters.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

We originally booked two double queens with baths at Snow Lodge for our August trip. DS wanted me to get OFI instead if I could, so I just set up the booking site with all the information as a favorite to do periodic review of availability of OFI and after six tries, got two of the West Wing standard double queen rooms there with bath. DH won't do a shared bath. I hear that that the old house and east side are more desirable, but went ahead and grabbed the rooms when they became available. // I think you'd be happy at either place, but it's easy enough to keep checking if you'd like OFI. I hear too that the best chance for cancelations is the week before your stay. // I wouldn't have even bothered to try changing except DS thought it would be so cool to stay in the famous iconic hotel. Rooms especially in the newer wings aren't anything great, but of course there is the iconic lobby and a booked a birthday dinner at the restaurant there too. // I may try to go for East instead of West if I'm motivated the week before the trip. With everything booked now though, I'm burned out on checking even though it's so easy to do.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 03:29
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

Thanks kathy - I look forward to hearing about how your trip goes!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

We stayed in a West Wing frontside room in late June and if I had it to do over again I would stay in the OF Lodge or Snow Lodge. Our room was $250 (incl tax) and we had a first floor room looking out on the driveway in front of the hotel--no sight at all of the geyser basin. It was also VERY warm and the window only opened 3-4 inches. After a couple of hours trying unsuccessfully to cool it down with a fan, we called the front desk to ask for an additional fan and they told us the windows were double hung and also opened from the top. That helped cool it down a bit. The lobby of the hotel was always mobbed--way too many tour buses for me and literally packed with people. If you stay at the Snow Lodge you can still walk over to OFI early in the morning (when it's much quieter) and soak in the atmosphere and watch Old Faithful erupt, but then you can escape the madness when you want to.

The clincher for us was the blood and vomit (seriously) on the bathroom wall in our room. And my kids got sick with norovirus 48 hours later. :-(

6. Re: Move from Snow Lodge to Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 07:18