We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detail Itinerary help for YNP & GTNP

Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Detail Itinerary help for YNP & GTNP

My husband & I, along with kids 16, 12, 10, my parents & in-laws will be in Yellowstone for 4 nights & Jackson 2 nights for GTNP. At this time we have the following planned.

Day 1: Staying at Old Faithfull Inn & have dinner reservations. - probably won't do a lot of touring this day, although we will probably have some time to spend around the Old Faithful Inn area. We are driving in from Cody - any recommendation on the route to take from Cody? The Grandparents are joining us at Old Faithful coming from Salt Lake City.

Day 2 - I'm thinking this day we may want to tour the Geyser area?? What else? We have reservations at Lake Hotel cabins for 3 nights. We have dinner reservations at Lake Hotel, although I'm not certain if we will keep those.

Day 3: ?

Day 4: We are doing the Roosevelt cookout (horseback for us / wagon ride for grandparents).

Day 5: Drive to Jackson - stay two nights. Should we do a boat ride on Jenny Lake even though we also plan to do a Snake River float ride?

Day 6: Probably a Snake River float ride this day.

I would love to hear suggestions on how to order our days.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detail Itinerary help for YNP & GTNP

Day 1: Depends on when you plan to leave Cody. With kids, maybe not an early start, so I would go in the east gate, Check out the Dam on the way, stop at overlooks on the way in. Kids might be interested in Jr Ranger or Jr Scientist, so check with the Visitor Center when you get to OF. Enjoy the geyser basin in the evening when day trippers are not there. Check-in is late afternoon for park lodging (4:30 or after) so no need to hurry.

Day 2: Geyser Basins, Paint Pots, etc. From Norris and back south to Lake.

Day 3: I would do the Canyon and Lake areas, Fishing Bridge, Mud Volcano, Hayden Valley.

Day 4: I would go to Mammoth via the west side. May have time to see Tower Falls and possibly into Lamar Valley before the cookout, but be sure to allow plenty of time to get to your reservation- no refunds.

Day 5: Stop at West Thumb on the way if you are interested in more geysers along the Lake.

There are some cool picnic areas- take advantage. Hayden Valley in the evening is a nice way to end the day at Lake.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detail Itinerary help for YNP & GTNP

>Should we do a boat ride on Jenny Lake even though we also plan to do a Snake River float ride?

Yes. These are 2 very different boat rides. One is a short ride across a lake (from 6 to 9 on a clock face), while the other is a much longer ride on the Snake River.

3. Re: Detail Itinerary help for YNP & GTNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:18