We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

Springfield...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

After spending a week in SLC and Heber Valley/Sundance area - our family (2 adults, 11 year old boy and 9 year old girl) are heading up to GTNP and YNP. Back in January, I made a reservation at the Jackson Lake Lodge for Friday night, at the Canyon Lodge on Saturday night and at the Old Faithful Inn on Sunday night (Monday afternoon, we will need to drive back to SLC to stay at airport for early morning Tuesday flight home). So, now I am looking for suggestions to fill in our itinerary - the parks are so HUGE - I'm not sure what I will be able to include - fun hikes, sights to see and explore, etc - for the rest of our trip. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

I'd cut time in SLC, if at all possible and give yourselves at least one more full day for YNP. Three very full days is the minimum to experience the diversity and many sights in this huge park. Grand Teton is, actually, relatively small and easily accessible. You can "see" it driving to/from YNP, but I'd spend at least a full day there. You might enjoy float or whitewater trips in Jackson Hole.

I assume that you have selected "View Map" on each of the parks' official websites.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,920 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

Your lodging is good for your short stay. I would see GTNP on your arrival day, and see a bit more on the way to Canyon on Day 2. Due to short time, you can skip West Thumb Geyser Basin on the way in if you are later arriving. I would go to Canyon via Lake and Fishing Bridge. Depending on arrival time, see the falls- North and/or South rim overlooks. I like the fewer crowds in the later afternoon/evening, but it is not always as good for photos. Hayden Valley is close for a bit of before sunset wildlife viewing. You might like the evening Ranger Program at Canyon.

Day 3 you can finish (or see) Canyon, and make a choice: Head to the geyser basins or head north over Dunraven and go see Mammoth, and head to Old Faithful from that direction. I like OF area in the evening and early morning with fewer crowds. You can have more time here if you don't go to Mammoth- not sure of your interests.

Day 4, see whatever you can on the way from OF to West gate, heading to SLC.

Be sure to have a cooler and supplies to eat as you go, saving precious time. Ice Cream breaks are good- for kids and adults :)

Your time is short- just make the list for things to see and do on your next trip :D

Springfield...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

Thanks so much for the advice. Any hiking recommendation for either GTNP or YNP?

4. Re: GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 04:25
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,920 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

You don't have much time for a lot of hiking with such a short trip, but as it is your vacation, it is your choice how to spend that time. You can walk miles on the boardwalks alone. The list from Ystoner is good. I would add that I like Brink of the Falls and Uncle Toms for a little more huffing at the Upper and Lower Falls/ Canyon overlooks.

Search for posts on hiking in GTNP. Many take the boat across the lake and hike a bit from there.

6. Re: GTNP and YNP - 4 days in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...