We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

logistics and where to stay?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
logistics and where to stay?

my husband and i are planning a trip to yellowstone last minute as my parents are going to watch our daughter. we were thinking end of this month or early august. i looked at lodging and everything in park is full. we are planning 4days. driving up from boulder, co. where should we stay if the park lodgings are all full? would we stay in one place and drive daily into the park? where would be the best location to stay for easy access? or would it be recommended to stay at a few different hotels at different surrounding areas of yellowstone?

thanks

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: logistics and where to stay?

You'll find your answers in the article, below. Key thing, get reservations in West Yellowstone and/or Gardiner (a split is best), but keep calling, continuously, Xanterra as cancellations often occur. See the article for "best locations" inside the park. Make sure you know cancellation policies of any motel you select (and if they even have space available).

LODGING FOR YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK This article tells what you need to know about lodging locations inside and outside the park, how to get lodging, and how to choose from among the various locations.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin… html

Edited: 17 July 2013, 22:50
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: logistics and where to stay?

ok i just looked at a few older topics and discovered that we should probably do west yellowstone and gardiner. with 4 days coming up from CO how would you split your time between these two locations? or would you?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: logistics and where to stay?

4 days is really 5 nights. West Yellowstone is more convenient to more of the park's features. 3 nights West Yellowstone, 2 nights Gardiner. But keep trying for lodging in the park IMO.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: logistics and where to stay?

so i've tried very hard to understand the combinations of the lodging within the park and looked at the map recommend above and i'm just not getting it. i'm a tired mom to a toddler. i'm sure its not that hard but please can someone explain. i'm going to try to get lodging within the park. like everyone said things are opening up here and there. when i google mapped our route it has us coming up from the south entrance? is that where we should begin? where to for the first night?

thanks

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: logistics and where to stay?

ok i figured it out. but there isn't any rooms in the combination suggested or any rooms in two parts of the park that would match up together. so i guess its back to the drawing board with lodging outside of the park.

with such a short amount of time to plan our trip i'm almost ready to throw in the towel.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: logistics and where to stay?

Please Mom.... No towel throwing in......Not yet. It would be a shame to cheat yourself out of a chance to experience this amazing place. This does not need to be this stressful or overwhelming. In the worst case scenario, if you can find lodging in West Yellowstone, or Gardiner(preferably in that order)it is certainly possible to tour the entire park from there. It's not the ideal situation, and it will require some long days in the vehicle, but it can be done. And you will still be spending those days in Yellowstone, so it's all good.

Even those who do stay inside the park spend a lot of time driving around to the various sites and looking for wildlife. Staying inside the park does have it's advantages, sure, but if everyone were to stay inside the park, those gateway communities would not have survived for all these years.

If you are able to get inside the park lodging, the Canyon area is the most centrally located, and again, the entire park can be visited from there as well.

Don't surrender...........Enjoy!

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: logistics and where to stay?

Looks like your first night should be in West Yellowstone ( maybe the first night or last night at Old Faithful Inn if you can get a reservation) After that, at some point you would move on to Gardiner. Honestly though, you can see the park while staying in one location. I hate packing up and moving.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: logistics and where to stay?

You can always call and talk to the agents with Xanterra in the park, they are very helpful and understand the lodging. Also cancellations happen all the time so availability changes every day, sometimes every hour. Keep checking the website and calling if you want in park lodging.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: logistics and where to stay?

thanks everyone!

i feel refreshed and ready to keep looking.

11pm after a long day chasing a toddler around was probably not the best time to try to tackle the problem ;)

thanks again!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: logistics and where to stay?

<< when i google mapped our route it has us coming up from the south entrance? is that where we should begin? >>

Maybe. But you can also go through Lander and Cody and enter the park through either the east entrance or the northeast entrance. I used to come through the south entrance like you suggested, but I haven't done it that way for several years. It is still the way to go if you are going to Grand Teton National Park, though.