We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this too much moving around?

Danvers...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
is this too much moving around?

my plan so far.

fly into jackson on a friday

spend 2 nights in GTNP area

drive to Old faithfull on monday for 2 nights

drive to mammoth hot springs for 2 nights

drive to lake village for 2 nights

this brings us to saturday. should we spend a night in

grant village and still expect to get to jackson late sunday to fly home?

we are a mom 54 and 13 year old girl. we will be flying out of boston

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is this too much moving around?

Looks good to me.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is this too much moving around?

how far from grant village would you say the airport in jackson is?

as far as all the locations. should we do cabins or rooms? I am used to camping

but would like my own bath and a bit of quiet.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
387 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is this too much moving around?

If you are used to camping, the cabins at OF, Mammoth and Lake would be perfect since there are cabins with private baths at each of those locations. I like being able to park right outside my door rather than schlepping stuff through lobbies and down hallways.

Grant has only motel-type accommodations. I have used accommodations in Grant only when I am arriving late or need to leave early through the south entrance. But if your flight is not until late on Sunday you could stay a third night at Old Faithful or Lake. I must admit that I like staying at Lake better than Canyon (which also has cabins).

The Jackson airport is only 2-3 hours away from Grant - depending on traffic, photo stops and critter jams.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 00:06
North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is this too much moving around?

On Saturday I would plan to finish up any sights I missed either in Yellowstone or in Grand Tetons as by this time you have a pretty good idea of what it is you have missed and what you may still want to see. Then, I would take my time traveling and make my way back to the Tetons to stay for the last night. You can plan to arrive later in the afternoon. Have a nice dinner, pack, and get ready to go back to reality...boo hoo hoo :)

That way, you are already in or near the airport and you can spend Sunday as well with that last minute but leisurely "to do " list. On my last morning in GTNP I always like to do one more ride up Signal Mountain and one last swing by Oxbow bend, and if time permits, one more ride out Mormon Row. One year near that area, we had our last animal sighting just before leaving for the airport. We watched a coyote hunting through a field trying to spot a proghorn's baby ( Well, that's what my boyfriend told me, and by the way the action played out, the manner of the coyote and the profhorn, he seemed to be correct. ) Unfortunately, US airways wouldn't hold the plane just for little 'ol us, so we had to move on down the road. :))

If you had more things to check off in Yellowstone, do that then take your time driving back to the Tetons.

I always spend only my first night in GTNP, then head on up to YNP. Then after my days in Yellowstone, I come back and spend the last 2-3nights in GTNP before flying out of Jackson Hole> That works for us. ;)

PA
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is this too much moving around?

Grant to the airport is a couple hours IF you don't run into any traffic issues, animal jams or construction. We sat in traffic for about an hour coming out of the park (between Grant & Southern entrance) due to a traffic accident a few weeks ago. But if your flight is late on Sunday, you will be fine.

If you didn't spend a night in Jackson, I might skip Grant Village & stay in town for the final night. Lots of nice restaurants, the town square with antler arches... then you are just 15 minutes from the airport.

Have fun!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is this too much moving around?

Normally I like to stay one place the entire time on vacation, but that does not work well for Yellowstone. The last trip we made to the park, we stayed in West Yellowstone the entire time, and that was way too much driving. We are doing a mini trip again mid August -- just four nights / three days and are staying three different places: one night at Mammoth Hot Springs Lodge, two nights camping at Canyon in a tent loop, and our last night at the Old Faithful Inn. I think your plans for moving around look good and makes sense. And that's coming from someone who does not like moving around that much.

When is your trip? SInce you can cancel / change reservations 48 hours or more before your stay, I'd make them as soon as you have a good idea about dates. When I booked 10 months in advance I was able to get places I wanted without a problem, but believe it or not Old Faithful Inn was already booked up, so I started with reservations at the Snow Lodge just to make sure I had something. By keeping on checking (I think the sixth time I checked, Old Faithful Inn finally had two double queen rooms available for my dates. We needed two rooms with our party of seven) // People say that they can get last minute reservations too due to last minute cancellations. It's easier if you can get what you want ahead of time, though, and not have to keep on checking etc. if you know your dates in advance.

Have a wonderful trip. Happy planning.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
769 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is this too much moving around?

I don't think it's too much moving!! I think that will really help you see most of the main areas of the park and allow you to see the various features early and late, when there is a different feel. I know many on this forum will disagree, but I would probably shave one night from mammoth or canyon and add a night in Cody. This would give you time to see the world class museum complex and a really neat western town. You would still have five nights in Yellowstone and two in the Tetons. Just my preference, many will suggest you keep the lodging as is, and that will be a great trip too. So many good options!!

Saint James, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is this too much moving around?

I don't think its too much moving around. We are going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in September.

Knowing that my bride might think it is too much moving my plan is as follows:

Fly from New York to Jackson Hole (arrive early afternoon) Stay in Jackson Hole one night.

Drive to Lake Lodge Western Cabin, stay one night

Drive to Canyon Lodge, stay two nights

Drive to Old Faithful Snow Lodge, stay two nights

Drive to Teton Village, stay two nights

Fly home the next morning.

Sounds like a lot of moving around, but the area is so large and there is just so much to see I feel it is the way to go.

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: is this too much moving around?

It's fine. We stayed 2 nights Canyon, 1 Lake, 1 Old Faithful, but we found ourselves headed up to Mammoth one day, over to Lamar Valley another. Your itinerary sounds great.

http://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com

10. Re: is this too much moving around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17