We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone in 3 full days!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone in 3 full days!

Firstly, yes I know that's not enough! We are staying in West Yellowstone for 4 nights, towards the end of August. Roughly speaking, I am thinking one full day around Upper Geyser Basin, another day around Mammoth, and another in Roosevelt Country. We are staing a night in Cody after, so can fit in something else on the way through the park on the way through to Cody. Any comments gratefully received, especially on driving in and out of the park, and around.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone in 3 full days!

I would take ANY amount of time in Yellowstone, compared to none....so don't worry, you can still see so much!!! D0bby will be along to give you an itinerary if you would like, but splitting your days up like that is probably your best bet. Just remember drive slow and we made sure everyone in the vehicle had a designated area to watch for wildlife.....you wouldn't believe what you can spot if you each focus on an area!!! Also remember....you will never see it all...so if you are enjoying something that you have come upon, relax and enjoy, because it is a gift, and you may not come upon anything else in your travels, and you can always plan another trip to see the sights you missed!!!! Have a BLAST!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone in 3 full days!

Thanks Webbsue!

I would probably do Mammoth, Roosevelt area and Lamar on one day and do Canyon, Mud Volcano, Fishing Bridge on your other full day. I agree with your thoughts on using one full day for the Upper Geyser Basin. My recommendation from West Yellowstone is to go in to Old Faithful first and work your way back to West Yellowstone thru the other geyser basins.

Have you decide on your route out to Cody? Depending on the time of year you are coming, you could consider driving a portion of Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Scenic Highways by leaving the NE gate of Yellowstone. That however, would eat up a whole day and if you planned to do the museum complex in Cody in the afternoon of that day that would not work.

Pam

3. Re: Yellowstone in 3 full days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:17