We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

bettendor, ia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

Can someone recommend mid-priced (2-3 star) accomodations in each of these towns plus Cody for 2 adults. Also any not to be missed restaurants or bars.

Lebanon, Oregon
Level Contributor
264 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

I would recommend the Absaroka Lodge in Gardiner, the Comfort Inn in West Yellowstone, and the Mayor's Inn Bed and Breakfast in Cody.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

We got a great rate at the Stage Coach Inn in W. Yellowstone and thought it was perfectly decent, although most of the TA reviews would lead one to suppose that won't be the case.

Here's a thread with more Cody recommendations;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60442-i1140-k5799…

If you think you might be interested in the "road trip of yore" Carriage House Motel, you'll need to type in the full URL I gave in the link above; oddly enough, the Carriage House home page fails to provide a link to the page. I think we paid $60/night (possibly less) to stay there mid-August.

Wyoming is wonderful!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,730 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

We stayed at the City Center motel in West Yellowstone last summer and had a delightful stay there. Big rooms, clean accomodations, A/C was very good, and there was a full kitchen on the property with all the necessities for cooking your own meals. My only complaint was the small parking lot.

Just next door, kinda, from there was a pizza/Italian restaurant where we had all-you-can-eat speghetti one evening that was fantastic (although it was crowded there).

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

Do you like unusual local places? If so there are two places outside of West Yellowstone that you might enjoy. Both are local hangouts and not for kids, but great views and great food and great local opinions. Eino's is about 10 miles north of West on Hwy 191 and sits on a hill overlooking the lake. It is a bar which also has a grill where you cook your own hamburgers and steaks. The Happy Hour is a little farther away (turn off 191 on Hwy 287 west which runs along Hebgen Lake and go another 5 miles). It sits right on the lake and has a nice deck. Great place to watch the sunset against the mountains.

If you just want a place in town, try Bullwinckle's (bar & restaurant), Strozzi's Bar. The Holiday Inn Iron Horse saloon has a good wine selection. Also here is a contact for general reservations for West Yellowstone that may also give you some options 1-888-646-7077

bettendor, ia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, and yes, we do like local, unusual places.

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

Just came back from the area a couple of weeks ago. Stayed in the Yellowstone Basin Inn just 5 miles north of Gardiner -- HIGHLY recommend it! Would definitely stay there again. Sabina and Greg are great folks, its a good location, with wonderful views of Electric Peak and Devils Slide. They have regular rooms, rooms with kitchenettes, sitting areas, even the cottage suite that's more like an apartment!

Never been to Cody. Sorry.

The only recommendation I can give on West Yellowstone is to stay away from the Stage Coach if you want to get any sleep!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

We stayed at the Big Bear Motel in Cody for one night on our way out of Yellowstone. It was basically an extra stop so we could see the rodeo and we didn't want to pay a lot. I think the room was under $60 for the night and we were very pleased with it. It is your typical 50's motel-nothing fancy but definitely adequate. Family run, big rooms, outside pool. No phone but we found it to be very clean and a great place to spend a night. Very close to the rodeo and a short drive to downtown Cody which is an awesome little town. Great shops. We ate at a pizza place (traveling with kids) but I think you could find some fun places to hang out downtown.

Didn't stay in Gardiner but did drive in there to eat several times. Loved the Town Cafe. Good prices, great food-your typical diner but nice, normal food.

8. Re: lodging recommendations for Gardiner, W. Yellowstone, Jackso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 10:33