We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

West Michigan
Level Contributor
506 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

I am wanting to get Yellowstone treasures, but none of the bookstores (even big name chain ones) around me carry it, so I will have to order it. Since I have to order it, I am going to get the ebook on my nook. My issue is, I would like it as soon as possible (NOW!!) and the 4th edition is pre-order only for the ebook, and is not available until August 1st. I can get the 3rd edition immediately (for only 10.00 on bn.com), but just wondered if the 4th edition was enough better that I should wait. I have never been to Yellowstone, and will be spending 2 days there.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,911 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

I am ordering the new one, but have no idea how many updates are in it. As the book just became available, I am betting few have it yet to be able to compare.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

If you have a print edition. How about the new edition as a e-book? (or vice versa)

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,911 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

I have nothing to read the e-book on :) And I love to have a book with pages, so it works for me. Perhaps there was someone in the park to get an autographed copy when Janet was there recently?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,911 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

ah- just went to the mailbox, hopeful my book had arrived.. a package! No such luck. So, went to Amazon to see when it is expected. It wasn't on the list with the others I ordered! How did that happen? Apparently I put in on the wish list instead of in the cart? So now, it won't be here til next week :( On the plus side, my GTNP photo book arrived today, and my trip isn't until the end of August.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

I am thinking of getting this book too, but as much as I love my kindle, I don't think travel books are best read in ebooks. Personally I think if you are trying to read maps etc, it's nice to have a paper copy rather than the ebook. Plus I think the paper copy acts as a nice keepsake after the vacation.

6. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 00:35
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

If Janet Chapple's post was informative and responsive to the question in the OP, I have no objection to it. If it was a sales pitch, which here on this forum would be unnecessary, then it would have been inappropriate. I wonder what she said...

Edited: 25 July 2013, 00:40
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

I got the answer, yep, it was marketing.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

It's a shame the informative part of Janet Chapple's post was removed. IIRC, in referring to differences between the 3rd and 4th editions, she mentioned updated stuff on geology and an improved glossary. She didn't, I think, say that she'd found and documented a new must-see, priceless treasure at x.y miles down your favourite park road - not even the Mammoth Dungeon.

PA
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: difference between yellowstone treasures 3rd and 4th edition

I saw her post before TA took it down. Yes, she was directly marketing her new addition but offered autographed copy at no extra charge which was kind of nice.

I bought a gently used copy of the book (2nd edition, I think) for just $3.98 through www.betterworldbooks.com

When you buy used books through this site, donations are made to various charities, fight illiteracy, etc. Pretty cool site if you are a reader. Bought a Frommers GTNP / YNP book for $4 through them also.

I proceeded to mark it up before & after our trip. It makes a great addition to travel journals if you don't mind marking up a book! (what can I say, I enjoy using highlighters...)

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...