We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on what to see?

Manchester
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on what to see?

Going to drive up from SLC and thinking of spending a night at Idaho Falls - then into YNP - only have 2 or 3 days at most in YNP - should we stay at Old Faithful for 2 nights (or somewhere similar) or move on each night? Should we just drive all the way round (We do not mind some short strolls but we are NOT hikers or campers- What should we NOT miss? We are looking to exit the park and drive through GTNP, thro Wyoming back to SLC.

Where should we stop? Would like to see Jackson and maybe Rock Springs. Looking to cover about 1200 miles over the 12 days.

Would be really grateful fo a simple itinery! I have read so much that my head is about to explode! I know that we cannot see everything so give me your best!.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on what to see?

If I was you I would definately go for three nights in yellowstone, trying for two at old faithful and one night on the other side of the park at either Roosevelt or canyon. Others will surely have thier own lodging preferences. Do you also have a night to stay in Jackson? The Tetons are beautiful and can be seen from Jackson or from lodging within grand Teton national park (which would be my preference).

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on what to see?

When is this trip?

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on what to see?

Canyon may be a better point - depends on what you want to focus on - Canyon has wildlife at Hayden Valley, scenic landscapes and hiking with the falls, Then you have Lake to the South and water activities, and Lamar to the NorthEast for more wildlife. Just a thought to spend a night in Canyon as well as Old Faithful.

http://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com

Manchester
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help on what to see?

Hopefully very end of May 2014 or beginning of June?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help on what to see?

My husband and I were in the park the second week of june and the weather was almost perfect. The animals were out in abundance and had babies with them. In may the weather could be considerably worse and lodging choices may not be open yet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
962 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help on what to see?

Spending time in the Upper Geyser Basin - including trying to see a few other eruptions besides Old Faithful - is a must, as is at least a little time in the Old Faithful Inn, even if you're not overnighting in it. The view of the Grand Canyon (with the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone) from Artist's Point is one of the iconic images of the whole National Park system. I think those two things are musts for everyone no matter what their interests.

After that, it's a toss-up depending on your focus. Mammoth Hot Springs is iconic, but the Minerva Terrace (what you usually see in pictures) was dry when I went two years ago - recent visitors would be able to tell you better tha I if that has changed. Still, it has almost guaranteed Elk viewing and is a quick ride from the iconic Roosevelt Arch at the North Entrance - and the road between the two offers prime Pronghorn viewing opportunities and a chance of seeing Bighorn on the cliffs.

There are also alot of people who might consider time at Hayden and Lamar Valleys essential for wildlife viewing opportunities. Waterfall fans would tell you that at the very least you have to see Tower Falls in addition to the Upper and Lower Falls of the Yellowstone, and some might consider the Grand Prismatic Spring a highlight.

The Lake region is nice, but I don't think I could consider it essential if you only have three nights.

Seeing Bison is a must, of course, but I think you'd probably have to try pretty hard not to see them a few times and get good pictures, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Kissimmee, Florida...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help on what to see?

If I had to choose between very few activities, I would plan on driving through the Lamar Valley, Hayden Valley, and then up to Mammoth Hot Springs. The reason I mention these three areas is because that's where we spend most of our time looking for, and seeing animals. We drive the speed limit or slower, using turnouts for the folks who are in a hurry, and concentrate on seeing the animals that are abundant when you go slow and look.

We especially like Mammoth Hot Springs because there is almost always a herd of elk in town. This is a rare opportunity to see elk up close. They come into town and just hang out on the lawns. There are usually volunteers in town just to make sure you don't get too close.

I know that's not close to an actual itinerary, but there's so much to do in the park that I'm sure you'll find lots of advice here. Do consider those three places in your travels if seeing animals is what you might want.

One time, as we entered the Lamar Valley, we came upon a turnout that overlooked a large portion of the beginning of the valley, and at that turnout, there were several people with spotting scopes set up; a sure sign that something interesting was happening. After we stopped, we saw that a pack of four wolves was mixing it up with a grizzly bear down on the valley floor. They would scuffle back and forth with the wolves tag-teaming the bear until the bear finally gave up and left. This whole process probably went on for an hour though, and for us, the wildlife experience just doesn't get any better.

Manchester
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help on what to see?

Thank you so much. I am now going to look at lodgings in YNP. We have a choice of flight days out of Uk - either 25th May which would put us up at YNP by about 28th /29th may or 1st June which would get us to YNP by 5th / 6th June.

Our preference would be 25th may but is there any big advantage by going on 1st June?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,620 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help on what to see?

The later you go the better the weather is likely to be. It is pretty fickle that time of year. It can be beautiful or it can be a little wintery still because it is at such a high elevation. Most things in Yellowstone open Memorial Day weekend which is May 24-26.

I agree with trying to stay at Old Faithful, Canyon or Lake to get the most general overview of the park.

Pam

10. Re: Need help on what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:20