We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Many Choices! (lodging)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
148 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
So Many Choices! (lodging)

I've been in the process of planning our trip for next summer and trying to arrange the lodging accommodations in the park is like putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle and not knowing what the pieces (choices) look like.

Depending on the date I choose, either 'x' is available but not 'y' or 'z'; or 'z' is available but not 'x' & 'y.' Then there's a whole bunch of variations of 'x' 'y' & 'z'

I'm hoping to divide our time between Roosevelt Lodge Cabins, Lake Lodge or Lake Hotel Cabins*, & Old Faithful Inn**.

The dates that have some form of availability now is June 27 - July 5th & June 6 - June 14. Which week do you think is better or do I base it on the availability of 'x' 'y' or 'z'? I know I can check back & hope for cancellations but for now do I book around 'x' or 'y' or 'z' as I don't know which property is more likely to open up.

*Lake Hotel Frontier Cabin vs. Lake Lodge Western Cabin ??

**Old Faithful West Wing Frontside vs.Old Faithful Inn Old House Shared Bath??

All rooms are based on 2 doubles or 2 queens. We don't mind a shared bath as we are campers & it might keep our 2 teenage daughters from fighting over the bathroom : )

Money is not THE determining factor as we want a real Yellowstone experience but we won't be staying in any suites either.

Thanks

RamblingRose

NJ
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

I think any over night in yellowstone is a good one! i have stayed in the old part of Old Faithful lodge with shared bath, sink in room. it was fine. I've stayed in a cabin at yellowstone lake, i really can't remember which kind, location is your most impt factor....

I stayed outside the park in Gardiner as well and in the Canyon Area (different trips). Canyon is very central but "crowded". I liked Yellowstone Lake area, and did a kayak trip on the lake using O.A.R.S. tour. I ran into buffalo herd at the Lake - got a coffee to go to sit at the lake to drink, turned around and a buffalo herd was between the hotel and me! I used this for access to hayden valley where i saw wolves.

Used Gardiner for lamar valley and the northern geyser area.

Timing, i am guessing that it's always busy but closer to July 4th will make it busier... i don't know that timing will affect the weather, it can always snow then ( it won't stick) i had snow on memorial day weekend there and that isn't that far off of June 6th.... I will say this much. if you can stay in the park, stay in the park. if you can't i would only probably consider West Yellowstone, Gardiner and Cook City. those are the "closest".

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,799 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

The good news is, you can't go wrong. I would pick which time works best for your family. You MAY (or may not, lol) have warmer weather with the later dates, but July and August are busier months. You may have more animal babies earlier. You may have less chance of bad driving conditions later. Either way, you will be in Yellowstone!

We always try to get the least expensive lodging, but even with a bigger budget, I would still say:

I love the OF Old House rooms, that would be my pick.

I love Roosevelt.

I prefer the Lake Lodge cabin area over the Lake Hotel cabin area. Neither are on the lake, but a short walk. Lake Hotel are behind the hotel, lodge are near the lodge (which ironically has no lodging in it) but I like either choice of actual cabin.

Just personal preferences, we spend very little time in the room and are happy with a roof and a bed at night.

Don't give up- it is confusing. You can call and talk it out with Xanterra and might find it easier than using the web. The site is not very user friendly.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

Old Faithful: The OFI Old House is like staying in the biggest log cabin in the world. They vary in shape and layout depending on where they are. The West Wing rooms I think of as nice late 60's Holiday Inn. More roomy than the Old House rooms and a nice bath. I like staying in the Old House for the tradition and ambiance.

The biggest difference between the Lake Hotel Frontier Cabin and Lake Lodge Western Cabin is location. The Lake Hotel cabins are just behind the Lake Hotel. The Lake Lodge and cabins are a couple of hundred yards away and further from the waters edge. Lodge has a cafeteria. Hotel has restaurant, gift shop, deli, great lobby. The western cabins are probably a little bigger. Xantera's website has descriptions of the rooms.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lake-yello…

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lake-lodge…

One thing about lodging in Yellowstone is that you most likely won't spend a lot of time there. So much to see and do. Why hang out in a hotel room. Get up early, come back tired, happy and late and get some sleep for the next day. )

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
148 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot!!

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

through the lodging reservation website they do show pics of some room choices, but also if you call them they will describe the different room options. I've found they are very helpful on the phone.

http://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

Roosevelt does have roughrider cabins with 3 doubles for the same price which might make the teens happy! We stayed in a 3-bed last summer right next to the restrooms. You can request to be near the restroom.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

Also at Roosevelt there are Frontier Cabins that have bathrooms. (and are larger)

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

I stay in the park every February, which brings about another dimension of logistics. But, I have found that it is much easier and effective if I call and make the reservations. Those folks at the reservation center can very quickly flip from screen to screen, finding availability, making suggestions, and, in my case, saving me $ on some of my winter activities.

I would check out the lodging links you have been given, get a working knowledge of what you might want, and then call. Let them do the searching.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

We just returned from a four night/five day trip to Yellowstone, loved it! We stayed at Old Faithful Inn and did take note of the other lodges around the park, and would return to the OF Inn again. We actually had a room in the Inn was a private in room bathroom. This is a very special place and you can simply walk out the door and there's Old Faithful, along with a 100 other geysers along a very nice boardwalk bath.

10. Re: So Many Choices! (lodging)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:15