We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for 10 day trip next summer

South Burlington...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
advice for 10 day trip next summer

Hi all,

We read enough to know that the Old Faithful Inn books early so we jumped on the reservations and got three rooms in the main lodge for 7 nights in July of 2014. Me and my husband, our 11 year old daughter and three grown children will be coming. We plan to fly in and out of Jackson Hole and want to see the GTNP and anything else of importance. We were thinking a total of 10 days. We don't have to do the full 7 at Yellowstone. It would be nice to balance the trip with rustic (for us, that would be Old Faithful Inn) and somewhat luxury hotels in Jackson Hole or GTNP. We could also stay another night in Cody if that is worthwhile. We also want to find a tour of Yellowstone while we are there and get in some horseback riding if possible. Thank you in advance!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

Flying in and out of Jackson Hole, it will be easy to sandwich your "rustic" with more luxury. You might spend 2 nights GTNP at the start, taking in Grand Teton on the way to YNP, then another the night before your flight out- maybe in Jackson for the last night "big city" splurge? 7 nights is great, but you can take one for Cody if you want the rodeo and museum. A second night would get you travel over the Beartooth and Cheif Joseph Highways on a day from OF to Cody. I personally would split the YNP nights with Cody in the middle, but if you don't want to move an extra time, you could do it after OF and before GTNP.

I am not a GTNP or Jackson person, but there are some great reviews for lodges in GTNP that I would consider luxury, or less expensive options that are still nice.

YNP horse rides are Roosevelt, Mammoth and Canyon. If you are not avid riders, one hour rides are usually what your backsides can handle, lol.

The Yellowstone tours from Xanterra or Yellowstone Association are well reviewed. What are you looking for in a tour?

Love the big family trips- what great memories you will make! Happy planning!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

Are you firm on spending your whole Yellowstone visit in one area of the park?? IT IS HUGE, and breaking up your stay even into 2 places will let you see the park, and not be driving constantly. It will also let you get to areas of the park for wildlife viewing early and stay out later without worrying about driving at night. ( which YOU should NOT DO!!) I highly recommend staying in the Roosevelt cabins for a couple of nights so you can be in the Lamar Valley early in the morning!!!

South Burlington...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

Thanks for your replies. Re tours: something that will educate and entertain our 12 year old as well as the 30 year old child. Tricky, but hoping something like that exists. We are capable of doing some hiking and riding and other outdoor things but not to exhaustion.

We are absolutely not firm on spending our Yellowstone stay entirely at Old Faithful. Thanks for the suggestion to break it up. I'll look into the Roosevelt cabins -- are they all the same?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

Roosevelt has Frontier and Roughrider cabins. The Frontier are nice, larger and have a path. The Roughrider are bare bones and have 1 or 2 or 3 double beds. Heat is from a wood stove with supplied composite log disks. If they are to primitive Mammoth or Canyon are alternatives. Or outside the NE entrance Cooke City or Gardiner the north entrance.

Also checkout the Yellowstone Association. They not only do custom tours they also have various field programs that are scheduled that might be interesting or you may adjust you visit to match.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 20:18
PA
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

I see you are from Vermont - I lived in southern VT & went to UVM (many years ago) and then lived in Burlington & Williston. Still have family in VT so return almost every year. A wonderful state!

You will have a great time in YNP! We just took our 1st-ever trip at the end of June & I want to return in a few years. We flew in & out of Jackson & had good luck with Dollar for car rental. I'd suggest a couple nights in GTNP or Jackson as well. Great town & those mountains are breath-taking! And a night in Cody is definitely worthwhile: fantastic Smithsonian-quality museum & the rodeo!

Here's link to my travel blog from our 1 week in GTNP, YNP, Beartooth Highway drive & Cody: www.tilley203.wordpress.com

Have FUN!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

OH, if you are willing to move around (saves driving time) then I agree, split it up!

If you do stay at Roosevelt (which I love, but thought might be too rustic for you?) you could do the horse ride with the Cowboy cookout. Those that don't want to ride can do the wagon. To clarify (typo I think) the Frontier have a bath, not a path ,lol.

A couple nights OF, a couple nights Roosevelt ( one for cookout and one for Lamar evening- can cut to one if you don't want the cookout), out for a night or two at Cody and the last night or two at Lake or Canyon, then back to Jackson would be great if you are up to moving that much.

Daughter took the sunset Yellow Bus tour from Lake and liked it. There are also boat tours on the Lake if interested in that. You can take Ranger hikes in most areas, they are usually suited for kids and adults. Check out the Jr Ranger program as well, possibly Young Scientist if she would be interested.

South Burlington...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

Well it looks like the Roosevelt is already booked for the days we might want it so the Mammoth is probably where we'll stay. One of our kids is a vegetarian, will that be a problem for the cookout?

The last night or two at "Lake or Canyon" -- is that a place or a hotel???

Yes we were from Vermont up until last year when we moved to Rhode Island. I miss the Green Mountains so very much.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

I, too, went to UVM, though more than a few years ago.

Lake Lodge and Hotel and Canyon Lodges are good locations (think small "villages" like the Old Faithful area), especially Canyon given its central location in the park. Hayden Valley, between Canyon and Lake is great for wildlife observation.

A tour would be good for an overnivew but not necessary. The figure 8 road will take you to all of the major sites, and you'll see many things while driving and pulling over at viewpoints.

No one, guaranteed, no one, will be bored!

Bring binoculars and if you see folks with spotting scopes, inquire; you'll be glad you did.

Did anyone mention the vehicle? With that many, suggest that you rent a large wagon/SUV/Van so that everyone has a window plus room for gear and large cooler. The cooler, so you can eat on the run or while watching wildlife and not have to return some distance to dining areas in the several villages.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 00:35
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

Two "must sees". In Cody, WY, Buffalo Bill Center of the West A fascinating world class complex (with cafeteria). Plan on at least three hours. For all ages. http://www.bbhc.org/home/

National Museum of Wildlife Art Another remarkable museum focusing on western art of all kinds. Just north of Jackson. http://www.wildlifeart.org/

Re: Grand Teton National Park Lodging (I believe there are other "official" sites: don't use those who claim to be unless you are looking outside the Park). www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

Informative reading:

Yellowstone Newbies - Things You Need to Know http://tinyurl.com/7e62x72

Wildlife Viewing and Photography: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice for 10 day trip next summer

Lake and Canyon are both places and accommodations. Canyon has Lodge (hotel) and cabins. Lake has Lodge( cabins) and Hotel (hotel and cabins)

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/roosevelt-…

Steak (12 oz. serving for adults, 6 oz. for children)

All-you-can-eat coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans, chuck wagon corn, corn muffins, watermelon, fruit crisp, and assorted beverages.

Vegetarian meals can be accommodated with advance notice.