We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

Israel
Level Contributor
405 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

I've been searching the forums, but only found replies about June, and we're in late July now, so I figured I'd ask.

Is the water in the swimming area at Firehole river very cold? I think I had read somewhere, many moons ago, that there's a place in Yellowstone where the cold river water mixes with hot springs water to create a nice warm area where you can move around and feel the temperature of the water change. Is that the Firehole river swimming spot?

Any recommendations for this time of year?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

Roughly 50% of the Firehole's water is of thermal origin. Swimming at the "swimming hole" along Firehole Canyon Drive should be done with caution. About every other year someone drowns.

Firehole River flow data

waterdata.usgs.gov/mt/nwis/uv/…

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

I'm not sure what you mean by "swimming" but whatever you do should be done with caution please. Also, if there is a local angler near by, its general etiquette to not get in the water. There are a lot of plants near the water that help with erosion etc so if you enter the water, stay on rocks, dirt or the general sand to not disturb the area.

Israel
Level Contributor
405 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

We were driving by a few days ago and it seems there's a very well-organized spot there along the drive, with designated parking and lots of people in the water. I don't think it disturbs anglers or that we would add much to the erosion :)

The water seemed deep enough for people to be immersed in them, hence my use of the term swimming. I think the kids, and their Dad, would just appreciate a place to enjoy some fresh water, but I'm hoping the water isn't too cold.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

Tell us more about the spot please as you are already there a few days ago and seemed like you already answered your question. Curious. Thanks

Edited: 29 July 2013, 04:01
Israel
Level Contributor
405 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

We were driving the Firehole river detour and saw all the cars and people, but we never got down the river as we had no bathing suits with us. We told the kids we'd be back, but I wanted to find out about the water temperature first.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
368 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

There is a place where swimming is allowed along Firehole Canyon Drive. The water is not cold this time of year but it is cool. It can be very crowded on hot days.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60999-d19…

On the road between Mammoth and the North Entrance is an area called Boiling River. This is where you mix the hot and cold water from two streams by building rock walls.

You can read about it here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60999-d15…

Caution is needed at both locations; depending on the age of your children, you will need to supervise them closely to keep everyone safe. I recommend lace or Velcro tied sneakers at Boiling River because the rocks are very slippery and having footwear slide around on your feet when you are near boiling hot water is not safe.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 05:39
Israel
Level Contributor
405 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

Thank you so much! We'll decide tomorrow which site to sample.

8. Re: Swimming in Firehole river - how cold is the water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:16