We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
167 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

Hi

Starting to plan a trip to the USA next year in September '14 and would like to go to Yellowstone NP amongst other places. My proposed stops in a "circle" will be:

Denver, Moab, Salt Lake City, Jackson, Yellowstone NP, Billings, Rapid City and back to Denver for the flight back to the UK (which unfortunately I can't book yet!)

My question is this - based on the stops above should I be looking at travelling clockwise or anti-clockwise.i.e. should I start from Denver and head to Moab or go in the other direction to Rapid City - or does it not matter?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

How much time do you have to make this "circle"?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
167 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

Hi

Tentative timings are around 2 weeks:

Denver- 2 nights

Moab -2

Salt Lake City-2

Jackson-1

Yellowstone NP-3

Billings-1

Rapid City -1

and back to Denver

Thanks!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

That route is about 2,000 miles, plus extra miles driving around Yellowstone. But I suppose you could do it in 2 weeks if you keep moving, as in your schedule above. Anyway, your question was which direction to go in. My suggestion is to go counter-clockwise (that is, from Denver to Rapid City) because when you reach Yellowstone and Jackson Hole you might decide to devote more time to this area and shorten the time for the remaining destinations.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,121 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

You will need more time in Yellowstone and the Tetons. Also you can cut out a lot of time by doing this route- this leaves out SLC-

Denver- Day 1

Rapid City- drive to Rapid City and explore Black Hills- Day 2-3

Billings- drive to Billings- Day 4

Yellowstone- drive to Yellowstone- tour park- Day 5-8

Grand Tetons/Jackson- Day 9-10

Moab- drive to Moab and explore Arches- Day 11-12

Denver- drive to Denver- Day 13

Flight home- Day 14

Have done this same trip a couple of times flying in and out of Denver (but did not include Arches/Moab) in about 12-14 days.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

I like PeachBelle's plan. I would definitely cut out SLC, and if possible add two more days so your not completely exhausted. Happy Planning!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
811 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

I also think peachbelles plan is good but I would want more time in Moab. There is so much to see in that area and driving there takes quite a while. If you can add a couple extra days you might enjoy your trip more.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,121 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

Agree with others- you can use another day in the Moab area for sure. We did Arches as part of a SW trip last September and it was one of our favorite parks- awesome views!!!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
167 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions - I really appreciate it. I'll review what you say and base our vacation plans on that.

Thanks so much again to you all!

El

9. Re: Denver to Yellowstone NP and back to Denver - which way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:20