We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in YNP

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in YNP

I am going to YNP/GTP for two weeks in late August. The "estimated" weather is 70/35. We are not fancy folks, going to fancy places. What should we plan on wearing?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in YNP

If you brought fancy clothes, there'd be no place to wear them here.

Pack jeans, with the ability to layer up when it gets cold or unexpectedly warm. Bring a foul weather layer for when it rains, including hat and gloves.

PA
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in YNP

There is a 'what to pack' article somewhere within this forum & it is useful to read. I paid close attention to the 'layer up' advice & was good. We were there the last week of June and a couple early mornings were in upper 30s Then we would be in short sleeves by early afternoon. Good, broken in sneakers are essential - even if you do no hiking on trails, you will walk a lot!

And don't forget sunglasses & sunscreen.

Have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in YNP

What to pack article in under the top questions section at top on the right of this page.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c161798/Yellow…

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in YNP

Very casual. Even for Dining at Old Faithful. Layers - dont be stuck without something warm; bring in the car in the Am or wear and you may be able to take off by your hike or excursion for the day. We were there late June and except for jeans in the am with a zip up we were fine. If camping you def want to have warm clothes.

1quest2thenext.com/category/…

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,117 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in YNP

In addition to what everyone else has said...you will literally see every level of clothing in the park. I have been on the OF boardwalks in snow when someone shuffled past me in flipflops (I was freezing but they did not look cold!) and on the other end of the spectrum I have seen women in stilettos with perfume, full make up and a ton of expensive jewelry making their way thru the geyser basin.

Dress for comfort and protection from the elements (sun, wind, rain, snow, sleet, chill, lol).

Pam

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in YNP

great. sounds like my kind of place..f

North Carolina
Level Contributor
624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in YNP

I always take a hat and wear it almost nonstop for the entire time I am there. LOL! when I get home, it takes me 2 days to get the feeling of a hat on my head out of my system!!

I take casual clothes and little by little have been investing in outdoor clothing by Colombia, North Face, etc. I like them because they are light weight, relaxed fit, dry quickly, may have sun repellent, etc. Long pants, capris, short sleeves, long sleeves, light weight jackets, fleece, and a vest (which reflects heat back onto your body).

But before I had all of this clothing, I took what was in my closet and was just fine. you do need to layer though. And carry those layers with you in the car. You will begin in the morning with layers, shed them as the temp. rises, and put them back on as the temp. drops again in late afternoon.

Do carry a rain jacket, I vote for gloves for the early morning wildlife viewing when it can be breezy which makes it feel colder. I also take my winter neck scarf again for the same reason. Don't seem to need it so much in the evening, but boy howdy those mornings can get you!

I took tennis shoes, a pair of flip flops well those were for comfort and walking around town not hiking. One pair of jeans, capri pants/shorts a couple, a few short sleeve and long sleeved shirts.

Do take some sunscreen for the days in Yellowstone, the high elevation sun is torture to your skin. And also lip moisturizer!

Have a great trip!

Funny fyi, one night we wanted to eat in a nice restaurant for dinner and I put on a semi nice shirt with a pair of black NIKE pants..hahaha, no one was looking at that NIKE symbol on the side of my pants or at my shoes! LOL, well at least I hope not. Anyway, we have been to the Snake River Grill as well and were not turned away because of how we dressed....albeit we did look decent, just not ooh la la.

Indiana
Level Contributor
75 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in YNP

So will I be laughed out of the park if I have a cute dress on at Old Faithful Inn for dinner one night? Hoping for a Christmas card picture in front of the big fireplace!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,117 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in YNP

No, you wont be laughed out of the park, and the picture sounds like a wonderful idea, altho it may be difficult to find a time when it is not crowded in the area around the fireplace. For your safety and the safety of your feet, please wear appropriate footwear on the trails.

One thing I find is that I am so tired by dinner that it is all I can do to get in some nourishment, shower and go to sleep! At Old Faithful, I do enjoy a walk around the geyser basin after I eat, though.

You may decide you want a casual Christmas picture with people in their hiking clothes!

Pam

Edited: 10 August 2013, 15:23
PA
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in YNP

Atinor: you made me laugh. When we were in YNP in June, we stopped at the Lake Hotel to take a peek at the lobby around 5 pm after a day tramping around Canyon area, etc. My hubby said 'let's have a drink' & I was feeling a bit grubby & had on rolled up olive drab pants & t-shirt. But, hey, I thought, we won't see anyone we know here... so we enjoyed 'happy hour' in comfy chairs overlooking the lake from the big windows. And I looked around & there were others who were dressed like us! Live piano music was a plus then too!