We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

I know it's fairly late in the season and that many of the Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l Park facilities will be closed, but do you think we'll be okay with the following itinerary. We plan to do sightseeing and some short (2-8 mile) hikes, but don't have details yet. Is it okay that we're going to explore Yellowstone before the Grand Teton area or should we do the reverse?

Sept. 28: Arrive at 9:00pm at JAC, rent car, spend night at Hatchett Resort in Moran. (Or would it be better to stay in Moose (closer drive from airport and more restaurant and grocery options).

Sept. 29: Breakfast at Hatchett Resort, drive to Yellowstone, buy groceries at Grant Village General Store (I think it closes for the season on Sept. 30), explore Yellowstone Lake area, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Lamar Valley on way to Silver Gate, MT, Spend 2 nights at Grizzly Lodge.

Sept. 30: Buy more groceries in Silver Gate or Cooke City, return to Lamar Valley and Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Return to Grizzly Lodge.

Oct. 1: Drive to West Yellowstone, MT via Mammoth Hot Springs area. 3 nights ay Yellowstone Park Hotel.

Oct. 2: Explore Upper and Lower Geyser basin areas.

Oct. 3: Explore Upper and Lower Geyser basin areas.

Oct. 4: Check out. Explore Upper and Lower Geyser and Grand Teton Nat'l Park en route to Pony Express Motel in Jackson for 4 nights.

Oct. 5: Explore Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

Oct. 6: Explore Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

Oct. 7: Explore Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

Oct. 8: Check out, return car, fly out of JAC.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,726 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

We've never been that late in the season so hopefully others will be able to give you their experiences.

It has been warm in Wyoming and Montana this summer so never can tell about the fall.

We will be there again mid September and it is the latest that we have ever been to the parks.

Good luck with your trip planning!!!

PS. I would stay in Jackson since you get in so late that first night and you do not want to be driving any distance at night. You will also have a better choice of grocery stores in Jackson where you can buy supplies, etc.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,024 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

I am seconding the suggestion to shop in Jackson. This is purely conjecture, but if the Grant General Store is closing the next day they may be somewhat depleted on grocery stock.

Your days look good. I suspect most of the Ranger led programs may end on Sept 30 but if any are still running, take advantage of them.

Pam

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

Thanks very much for your feedback! I'll change our first night's lodging to Jackson.

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

After reading your 9/29 itinerary I was going to post if there was a way to spend more time at Canyon/Lake/Hatden Valley/Lamar but then kept reading :-) I loved that part of our trip 6 weeks ago!

1quest2thenext.com/category/…

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

Thanks very much for your suggestion, but I'm now wondering if Moran might not work better than Jackson. If we arrive at JAC airport which is north of Jackson, it seems to make sense to drive north in the direction we're headed (toward Yellowstone) rather than go south 9.3 miles in the wrong direction. Moran is only 22 miles (26 minutes) north of the airport. Is it so dangerous to drive at night in that area? With regard to groceries, the place where we're staying in Moran (Hatchet Resort) serves breakfast so we can order extra food for the day. Also, Grant Village in Yosemite will still be open for groceries.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

Be sure to be prepared for all types of weather. Just saw that Big Sky had snowfall on August 10th!

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

Thanks for the heads-up! We'll bring warm clothes and rain gear. I assume our rented SUV will have FWD.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

POSSIBLE PARK CLOSURES! Any suggestions for things to do to in case Yellowstone and Grand Tetons close on Oct. 1 because of congressional wrangling. We'll have two days to explore the parks from Jackson and Gardner on 9/29 and 9/30, but then from Gardner what can we do for the remaining 7 days of our trip if Yellowstone and Grand Tetons are closed. It's our first time in the Wyoming/Montana area.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

Well, Gardiner to Siver Gate/ Cooke City is always kept open, so lots of wildlife-viewing in Lamar Valley. That's my favorite area of the park. From there one can take the Chief Joseph Hwy to Cody, dependent upon weather.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 17:56
Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Requesting itinerary help for 9/28-10/8 trip

Thanks denalicat! Very good to know about the road staying open between Silver Gate and Gardner! Spoke on phone yesterday with someone from YNP and they weren't sure about that road staying open for folks heading west from Silver Gate. Yes, we think Cody might be a good alternative destination. Also, Red Lodge via Beartooth hwy depending upon weather. We were also thinking about Thermopolis. Our next three nights after Gardner were supposed to be in West Yellowstone, but we'd have to take the long way around. Not sure it would be worth it. Perhaps we'll just stay east of Yellowstone. Don't know yet.