We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Topic
well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

now time for some planning our 5 day stay I do know that on Wednesday were waking up and driving to GTNP and I being a avid astronomer am bringing my 11" Sct scope and do some astrotography. Do they allow such a thing within the park?.........any fun advice would be greatly appreciated !

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,625 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

ok- I know I could just Google it, but what do you do for astrotography?

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

taking pictures of what they call DSO's (deep space objects) like galaxies,nebulas etc

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

It is possible that even deep space objects directly over the park boundaries may be licensed by the Park Service and you would need to secure permission at a nominal fee to photograph them. This can probably be arranged at any ranger station or at the larger visitor centers. Objects outside the park air space should be fair game. ENJOY!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

Okay, just to be safe ... y'all knew I was kidding, right?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

Laughing Bill, because the Park Service just hasn't figured out who to concession that out yet. Does Xanterrra have a Deep-Space Object division?

To the OP, just be mindful of driving in the dark in the park. We don't recommend it just because of the animals on the road. Check with the Rangers at the OF Visitor Center to see if they have any advice.

Pam

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,625 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

LOL Bill.

The sky is beautiful at night there. Just be very careful driving to a dark spot and back after dark because of the animals. Seems to me there was discussion on a good place near Canyon for night sky viewing. I'll see if I can find the link.

Sounds like an interesting slide show for your friends of your vacation pics :)

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

I did notice that there is a vantage point with a road leading up to it named Mt Washburn and it appears to have parking up top and it seems to me that would be a perfect spot seeing how were staying at canyon cabins any thoughts on this?

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
585 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

Be extremely careful driving back to Canyon from the Mt Washburn trailhead if you go. That part of the road has steep drop offs and is very curvy. There are a couple pull outs on your way to Mt Washburn that are a little closer but still get you some elevation.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,625 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

found the link- it was a fun discussion :) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k66851…

10. Re: well we just reserved out 6 night stay @ old canyon frontier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21