We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and Bears

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking and Bears

Ok--I need to know. We are planning a trip to Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier and the bear talk has me worried. We're not doing back country hiking, just normal trails, etc. How afraid should we be?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and Bears

You should have a good respect for them, and carry bear spray. Several have reported bear sightings even near boardwalks and in popular areas.

Indiana
Level Contributor
81 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and Bears

I was very worried about bears on our trip, too, and saw none. I still carried bear spray even though we were on busy trails. There were signs near Riverside geyser warning about a mother grizzly and her cub frequenting the area. I'm sure there were bears around and I didn't realize it. Just use common sense and follow the bear precautions.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 14:13
Mentioned in this post
Riverside
Riverside
Wyoming
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and Bears

Thank you!

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and Bears

Bear spray, travel in packs of at least 3, and read up here on how and when to make noise on the trail as to not surprise any, and the differences on what to do when encountering black and grizzly bears. And then don't be worried - be alert and have fun!

1quest2thenext.com/category/…

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking and Bears

<< How afraid should we be? >> Zero, nada, zilch, not at all.

You should be alert, "bear aware" as we say. When you enter the park you will be given very useful information -- read it, understand it, follow it and you are all set. ENJOY!

Germantown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking and Bears

Hike in groups of three or more. Make lots of noise so you don't surprise one. Carry bear spray. We were hiking on Friday--two adults and four kids--and saw a black bear off the trail just looking at us for about 2-3 minutes. It was awesome... and just a little scary. :)

7. Re: Hiking and Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:21