We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boiling River near Mammoth

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boiling River near Mammoth

Having worked in Yellowstone for a couple years back in the early 80's I am quite familiar with Boiling River Hotpots, and had the pleasure to, once again, soak in them last month (with a suit on in the middle of the day which was weird) on a recent Grand Teton Backpacking trip - taking time to go tour northern Yellowstone while acclimating to the altitude.

What I would like advice on is an upcoming trip there in Winter - my first. Do any of you have experience with the Boiling River hotpot in winter? Is the path to it open in the snow? Do you know the posted hours? How popular are they in winter? How well beaten is the path to it from the Hotel in Winter? Any help is appreciated.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boiling River near Mammoth

Have never been in the winter but did some looking and it's open dawn to dusk, and sounds like it will not be very busy. I couldn't find any info on the condition of the trail, but a few pictures I found did show the trail completely clear. With Mammoth being at a lower elevation, it does not get a ton of snow and getting there should be pretty easy. Personally I would just drive from the hotel to the parking area.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boiling River near Mammoth

I was just there 2 weeks ago for the first time. I loved it but from a mom perspective, I would love it more with older kids. I'd be curious if they shut It down after a certain time. Let us know. They don't advertise it, but it would be pretty easy to tell us it was not accessible after a certain date.

I should probably put a review out there when I have time, but what I will say is that the hot part is really hot - ie scalding - so our 5 yo was not interested in "soaking" after that when he was already in the middle and got a quick taste of hot it could be.

He refused to understand the real hot spring and confluence of the river can and will make it comfortable. So he sat on the outskirts near the true run of the river It did not make a good time for Mom, as I watched him sitting on the border of the fast moving Gardiner River. Albeit shallow, the current was strong. Husband always said "well they can just stand up". Not an option in a fast moving river. Keep a close eye on the little ones please.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 04:15
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boiling River near Mammoth

Thanks... and I was there three weeks ago myself. After 30-some years of being away it was a blast. We used to work at Lake Hospital (it was a hospital back in the 80's) and go up there a few times a week after dinner. There were no restrictions and we used to drink in the pot til morning. Ahhh good times! Back then it was a VERY tiny path hardly beaten down, and few people knew about it. The rock 'dam' had to be rebuilt every spring because of high water run off and the river was dangerous early in the season... I hear they close it in Spring nowadays... pansies! Though, there were always reports of people drowning in the Gardiner every year, too, so.... I just hope it is doable in January when we go back in '15.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boiling River near Mammoth

The Boiling River is open from dawn to dusk all year but is closed in the springtime due to hazardous high water and sometimes does not open until towards the end of June if the spring runoff remains high.

It would be quite a walk from Mammoth though it would be downhill all the way there.....tho if it is downhill getting there it would be uphill getting back. It would also be cold walking back up to Mammoth in the winter. There is no real trail from Mammoth to the parking lot for the Boiling River....you would walk on the highway. Even with driving a car to the parking lot you still have to walk about a half mile to the soaking area.

Every time we have gone by there in the winter (February) we have seen at least one car there. The trail is wide so I would think it would be easy walking in the winter even with snow cover. You would just need to wear your snowboots if there was snow on the trail.

Deb

Edited: 07 September 2013, 04:28
5. Re: Boiling River near Mammoth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 06:22