We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We spent two days in the park in mid- September. We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn and concentrated on touring the lower loop during our two day visit. We ate our meals in the dining room of the Old Faithful Inn and enjoyed the buffet at both breakfast and dinner. This is the first time we have ever stayed in the park when visiting Yellowstone. We were pleasantly surprised at how much we liked the convenience of staying near the sights and the fact that we did not have to do so much driving.

We were a little surprised to see so many people in the park at this time of the year. We had just spent three days in Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons and encountered a number of people in the park and the town square in Jackson Hole was really crowded.

The first day began with a snow in the higher elevations and some icy patches on the roads. We stopped and toured the area around West Thumb and Lake Yellowstone then headed to Lewis Lake and the Kepler Cascades. We arrived at Old Faithful and toured the Visitor Center and found out the time for the next eruption of Old Faithful. We made our way to the benches in front of the geyser and were amazed at the number of people waiting to see the geyser erupt. There were several hundred people there. We enjoyed watching all the people and Old Faithful erupted shortly after 4 pm. We then made our way to the gift shop across the street to buy souvenirs for family. After dinner we enjoyed sitting in the lobby and listening to the music.

The second day we did the geyser area between Old Faithful and Madison Junction. We stopped and walked the boardwalks at Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Grand Prismatic, Great Fountain and Paint Pots. We also did the scenic drive by Firehole Falls. We took water and snacks with us as this took most of the day. We saw buffalo near Biscuit Basin, along the loop road and near the Paint Pots. We returned to the Old Faithful area for more souvenir shopping and then dinner.

Photos-

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-07db-733a-b124…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
826 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks so much for sharing!! I am glad you liked the Old Faithful Inn- I am just now working on my trip report from June (it is too long) and was re- living how much we loved that building.

I am sad to hear it is still so crowded in mid- September. I had been thinking that would be a good time for a return trip. I think I am just going to have to plan a winter trip instead!!

Edited: 25 September 2013, 18:49
Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

My wife and I went the 2 middle weeks of September two years ago and we were surprised also at how many people were there. No kids but still a lot of people. I guess others thought like we did that there wouldn't be many people because the kids would be in school. However I really enjoyed that time of the year-cool nights and nice days.

Larry

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

The OF area will still be "crowded" in the Winter, since that's a major stop for all the tours.

Unless you are focused on just viewing the thermal areas, I would suggest exploring the other areas of the park, especially in the north and east. The drive along the Lake is beautiful, with lots of places to stop and enjoy the views and/or a picnic. Lamar and Hayden Valleys are well worth spending time visiting - lots of wildlife, trails, and gorgeous scenery everywhere!

Reading through the "Things to Do" section on the YNP website will give you lots of ideas of places to see that are more off the beaten track and will get you away from the crowds. With a little planning, it can be done :-)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Every & any month I've been, it's very busy at OF for eruption! But I have found it's very easy to get away from the crowds in lots of other areas of the park.

Peach, glad you made it back & had the OF Inn experience! I'll link this for mid-Sept to the trip archive for others.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Loved the pictures!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thanks!! I did get to see a bear- not in Yellowstone but in the Grand Tetons along the Moose-Wilson Rd.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Here is the link to my Grand Tetons trip report and photos-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143029-i1019-k687…

Saint James, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

I loved the photos, thanks for sharing them. We were in both parks the first nine days of September. Some areas were crowded, but I quickly learned how to avoid as much of that as possible. I did rather well at it too, just have to go off the beaten path and timing is everything.

If I ever finish my long winded report I'll post it.

Homosassa, FL
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Mike K. Post you trip report in segments. Anxious to read it.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Terrific shots Peach! I love the snow in the pines.

Pam