We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary set, any suggestions?

LaPorte, Indiana
Level Contributor
57 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary set, any suggestions?

I finally have an itinerary for our vacation and am looking for suggestions.

We will be going next year, the beginning of July. We have 6 in our party, 4 adults and 2 boys ages 14 and 8. Meeting family in Jackson Hole-2 adults and new baby, 6 months old.

We are flying into Denver and driving the same day to Keystone.

Spend 4 nights in Keystone. (Hopefully at K Bar S Lodge)

We will go to Badlands one day, other days we will go to Mt Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Crazy Horse, etc.

Drive to Cody. Spend 2 nights. Hopefully at Cody Cowboy Village. Go to rodeo and museums.

Drive to Jackson Hole. We have reservations at Buckrail Lodge for 3 nights. Planning to visit Tetons while staying in Jackson Hole. Also, we have family meeting us at this point.

From Jackson Hole we will go into Yellowstone. Spend one night at Lake Yellowstone Hotel. We have reservations.

Drive to W Yellowstone, stops on the way. Overnight in W Yellowstone 4 nights. We have a VRBO rented there.

Back to Jackson Hole. Overnight one additional night. At Buckrail Lodge.

Family members will fly home from here.

Drive to Cheyenne. One overnight stay. Is there a better place to stay the night that is close to Denver?

Drive to Denver, fly home.

Does this sound okay?

PA
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

Sounds like a great itinerary to me. We spent 2 days in GTNP & 4 days in YNP this past June & loved every minute.

Restaurants we enjoyed in Jackson were The Gunbarrel & Snake River Brewery. Make every effort to get early starts in the morning to some of the popular sights (Old Faithful, Canyon area) and for wildlife viewing. It is worth getting up to avoid crowds & see the animals!

Have fun!

LaPorte, Indiana
Level Contributor
57 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

Thank you!

Wyoming State Parks
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

Hi - Sue from Wyoming State Parks. Just thought I would throw in a few thoughts. On your way between the Badlands and Cody, you could stop at Hot Springs State Park in Thermopolis where the kids might enjoy the thermal pools. On the way from Jackson to Cheyenne, you could go through Lander and enjoy Sinks Canyon State Park - beautiful! As well, nearby is South Pass City State Historic Site which is fun. It sounds like you will be coming by there after Gold Rush Days but that might be worth looking into there as well. As for staying close to Denver, we (Cheyenne) is 90 miles from Denver. Of course, we would love to have you stay in Cheyenne. What date would you be here? If you really need close and quick access to the airport, I would--from experience -- stay at any of the hotels on Tower Road in Denver. Personally, I have found great prices on Hotwire -- but that's just my preference. If I can be of any more help, let me know. Have fun in Wyoming and we hope you 'll check out a Wyoming State Park!!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,124 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

Just FYI on Cheyenne. My personal experience, and I am a country (no city noises) so perhaps others will feel differently. We made a last minute decision to stay there while driving home this summer. We found the hotels either "nice" or inexpensive (and a couple of those we checked out, icky). Granted, had we known ahead how far we would drive that night, we may have found a deal on-line. We stayed in a nice one, much pricier than we wanted for sure and frankly, I didn't sleep much. It was right by the RR tracks. Seems that most of the hotels are right near the tracks. The hotel itself otherwise was fine, but for me, it will be a deal breaker in the future.

I love Lander, and Sinks Canyon is a nice place to visit between Jackson and Denver.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

We too have had bad nights of sleep on several occasions with the railroad noise in Cheyenne, so good warning, thbergs.

Wyoming State Parks
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

You are right -- many of them are by the tracks - arg! Now though, there is the Fairfield Inn on Del Range and the Holiday Inn on Fox Farm, Marriott Suites and a new one being built -- all three on Fox Farm Road, just off I-80. Come back some day! If you do, try the Morris House Bistro or Steamboat Steakhouse --two new local eateries that are getting great reviews!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,124 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

A different place that we loved, might not be what you are looking for on your last night? http://elkmountaincabins.com/

only one food option if it is open. http://www.elkmountainhotel.com/

but a picnic evening meal with a lovely setting might be a great way to end your trip. Which sounds great by the way!

8. Re: Itinerary set, any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:17