We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insightful recommendations please

Brisbane
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Insightful recommendations please

HI guys,

We are visiting this beautiful area of the world July next year...celebrating our long marriage..50ish couple, soils engineer and wildlife/wildflower mad wife...I have secured some accommodations for our trip as follows:

Flying into Jackson Hole

1night Jackson

1 night Mammoth

1night canyon

2 nights OF

then either 2 nights Roseveldt Rough rider

or 2 nights Lake Hotel renovated room

After which we head to Grand Tetons for 2 nights.

Questions which of Lake or Roseveldt would people recommend? Hubby gets tired of crowds and I know it will be busy at that time of the year. I don't mind being spread around the park as I enjoy amateur photography and love being able to wander in the great light around dawn and sunset. Is there much around Lake?

Pam are you able to help make itinerary suggestions for us, we enjoy shortish hikes up to 2 hours, hubby will enjoy rock formations, geothermal features, while me, flowers, birds and the wildlife.

Thanks heaps for any help/input offered.

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insightful recommendations please

For rock formations, take the trail through the Hoodoos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5-WBNUBCx0

You can drive it or hike over to it from the Glen Creek Trailhead across from Bunsen Peak trailhead. The Glen Creek Trail has signage for an immediate right turn toward the Hoodoos. Or you can catch the trail from the Hoodoos.

Mentioned in this post
Bunsen Peak
Bunsen Peak
23 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,491 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insightful recommendations please

For fewer people, I vote Roosevelt. While I love Lake at sunrise, it is a busier location.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insightful recommendations please

I lost the rest of my post!

Another short, sweet hike is Storm Pt to the lake past a marmot village- often elk or bison in the fields. There is a ranger led hike historically at 10am so check the schedule of ranger programs for '14.

Another easy hike is Lamar River trail. The hikers' trail is past the hitching post where horses access it on the right on the Lamar road. There is a parking area & foot bridge. I have often seen badgers over the bridge & huge herds of bison in the distance. At the confluence I have numerous times seen packs of wolves and elk.

…blogspot.com/2010/06/lamar-river-trail-yell…

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,202 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insightful recommendations please

I would be happy to help you with an itinerary. Lets wait until you get your nights exactly settled and then I will do it for you. BTW, things change frequently on the Xanterra website, so by next spring you should be able to get whatever locations you want and that will still give us time to work on itinerary suggestions.

With your interests, I would probably go with thbergs on Roosevelt, but I would also see if I could change the Mammoth night to Canyon so you have 2 Canyon, 2 OF, 2 Roosevelt. From Roosevelt it is easy to do the Mammoth area, plus some other wildflower rich areas (Blacktail Plateau and maybe a day up over Beartooth Pass heading in Denalicat's direction at Red Lodge).

Pam

Brisbane
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insightful recommendations please

Thanks for your suggestions, I have just managed to grab another night at Canyon, so 2 nights in Canyon,2 OF and 2 Roosevelt. It's great to get in early and organize the areas to stay...now let the planning begin. I do believe although the room at Roosevelt is not as comfy,I think we will appreciate the quieter nature of the area,we have already booked the cookout dinner for our second night...

PA
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insightful recommendations please

Great lodging lined up!

Another easy hike is to Natural Bridge - it is a level, wide trail to stone 'bridge'.

Wit the time you have in Yellowstone, consider a drive through Lamar Valley & out the Beartooth Highway one day. It is a breathtaking drive & scenery on this highway is nothing you will see in the park.

Mentioned in this post
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,365 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
7. Re: Insightful recommendations please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:17