We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tetons and yellowstone question

moss point
Level Contributor
196 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
tetons and yellowstone question

Considering a trip late May early June. We are considering flying into Jackson Hole late Friday night. Looking around Jackson Hole on Saturday morning and heading out to the Tetons that afternoon. ( info on things to do and see in Jackson Hole).

Staying in the Tetons Saturday night - (Suggestioons on where to stay )- finish exploring the Tetons on Sunday and traveling into Yellowstone. Am thinking of heading towards Grant Village way since this will be around Memorial Day weekend and I figure Old Faithful will be packed. So I would like to know how far do you think we can travel on Sunday and where we should stop for the night Sunday night? I have read about the accomodations at Grant- they aren't really promising. So any suggestions would be nice. I am not sure how much there is to see in that area, so I am not sure of the time I should allow. Also is it worth a side trip into Cody. We will be leaving the area the following Saturday. So I am just curious with seeing and hitting the highlights where I should make accomodations within the park for the remainder of the trip. I know that it is slow driving. but it only looks like 65 miles into Canyon village if we do not make a side trip to Cody.

This will be my Husband and I we are a young 50. i love waterfalls that are a short walking distance and would like to see some of the major geyser and thermal basins but do not have to see them all. Of course the artist point, Grand Canyon, Hot Springs, wildlife, Old Faithful.

Thanks for your suggestions and help with itinerary. Also is there a walmart to buy ice chest in Jackson Hole .

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,436 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

There is a Kmart, Alberstson's and Smith's in Jackson Hole. They will all have ice chest and the last two are grocery stores with plenty of choices for lunch and snack supplies.

Check the Xanterra website and see what lodging you can get. I would try for a couple of nights at OF and another couple of nights in either the Canyon or Lake area. The park is huge and there is much to see.

Here is a link and map to most popular sights-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

With a week you could make a side trip to Cody for the night to see the Buffalo Bill museums and after June 1 the rodeo.

Jackson has a nice downtown square, restaurants and shops.

Let us know if you have other questions!!

moss point
Level Contributor
196 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

thank you. I am thinking about leaving on a sunday- that way we will have saturday thru sunday.

I am a little confused about lodging, is it feasible to see the lake area and then Canyon in 2 days and then move on to Roosevelt for 2 nights and view Mammonth with it. then move on to Old FAITHFUL FOR 2 DAYS.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,346 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

Yes, I agree with PeachBelle that if you are in Yellowstone for 5 days/6 nights you could use one for Cody. Where are you headed when you leave the park? Will you depart from Jackson as well or will you go somewhere else before you head home.

About Grant...it is in a awkward location. There is not much around there except West Thumb geyser basin which only take an hour or so to see. I would go for reservations at Old Faithful and if you are spending 5 nights in Yellowstone, then do 2 in Old Faithful and 2 at Lake area. (Canyon would be my other suggestion but I don't think they usually open until in to June.) This would also position you to get out to Cody for one night.

I am not so sure being over Memorial Day makes any difference. I am sure all the accommodation at Old Faithful is completely sold most nights that they are open. It is also not like there are any big population centers around where people can come for just the weekend so everyone will be coming from elsewhere. OF is busy during the day but the advantage of staying there is being able to walk the geyser basin in the early AM or evening when most people have gone!

You can easily travel from the Tetons up to Old Faithful in an afternoon or morning.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,346 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

Sorry, I was posting when you were. Yes it is possible to see the area around the Lake (really not too much to see in my view, but that is My view and others feel otherwise) and Canyon and then move up to Roosevelt. To me the area from Fishing Bridge to Canyon can take a whole day if you do all the overlooks on the North and South rims plus stop for some wildlife watching in Hayden Valley. Mammoth is easy to see from Roosevelt. And yes, 2 days at OF is good.

Have you seen this page on the NPS website? It gives open and close dates for all the facilities. The dates listed are for 2013 but will be similar for next year. There is lodging at Canyon but it does not open until the weekend after Memorial Day weekend. It is pretty high in elevation so if it is a hard winter there is still snow around there in May.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ocd_locale.htm

editing to add: It is easier to advise on lodging if we know where you are headed after Yellowstone. Will it be back to Jackson for a departing flight or are you headed somewhere else?

Pam

Edited: 05 November 2013, 22:37
PA
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

I agree with experts, if you have 5-6 days in Yellowstone, use one to go out of the park for an overnight in Cody. The rodeo (after June 1) takes place every night & is very unique & FUN. The Buffalo Bill Museum is worth the time & $ - plan for 1/2 day, 3-4 hours minimum there - it is huge. The drive from East entrance to Cody is gorgeous as well - rock formations (hoodoos) on Buffalo Bill Scenic Highway are different from anything you will see in Yellowstone or Tetons.

Try for lodging elsewhere but if you are 'stuck' with Grant Village, don't despair! We stayed there for 2 nights in June (not our 1st choice) & while it is not well-located to major attractions, you are still in Yellowstone... a couple minutes' walk to the beautiful lake. I appreciated the Keurig coffee machines in the rooms. Buy muffins & have breakfast early your room so you can get out early ahead of the crowds to enjoy the amazing park! :)

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

Others can help you better with most of your questions, havedesiretotravel, but I'm a big waterfall fan too and have been planning several into my first trip. So, you may be interested in the following, which are all either roadside or within a mile of the road (except for Fairy Falls which is an flattish walk at least) ...

You probably know about the Upper & Lower Falls at Canyon. There's also Crystal Falls, which you can reach with a short walk from either of the Brink of the Upper/Lower Falls parking area (I think probably better from the Upper Falls side). And then there's Silver Cord Cascade but it's harder to get to the fall itself or a viewpoint on the other side of the canyon.

Then there's Tower Fall, near Roosevelt on the road to Canyon.

Other (near) roadside falls include:

Gibbon between Norris & Madison,

Kepler just up the hill from Old Faithful towards West Thumb

Moose (a very short trail) just inside the South entrance and Lewis just south of Lewis Lake on the S Entrance Road

Undine on the Mammoth Roosevelt road

Rustic on the Mammoth Norris road

Firehole on the one way road from Madison to Old Faithful

Virginia Cascades on the one way road from Norris to Canyon

Behind Biscuit Basin, near Old Faithful, it's a short walk to Mystic Falls. A longer but flat walk takes you from the Fairy Falls trailhead to Fairy Falls (and, if you feel up to it, you can ascend some way up the hill behind Grand Prismatic to get an aerial view).

Then there's Lost Falls along a short trail behind Roosevelt, Little Gibbon Falls a short way from the Norris Canyon road and Wraith along a short trail off the Mammoth Roosevelt road.

Oh, and Grand Teton seems strangely (to me) devoid of waterfalls. The obvious one is Hidden Falls which is a 2-mile walk (I think) around Jenny Lake or a boat trip and short uphill hike.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,346 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

Plus Wraith Falls on the Mammoth -> Roosevelt section about 5 miles east of Mammoth. The trail is about 1/2 mile to get back to it.

Pam

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

<< We are considering flying into Jackson Hole late Friday night. Looking around Jackson Hole on Saturday morning and heading out to the Tetons that afternoon. >>

You can see a tourist town lots of places, any time, nothing special about that. Spend Saturday in the park, THAT is special.

<< Staying in the Tetons Saturday night - (Suggestions on where to stay ) >>

Signal Mountain is the most central. I like Colter Bay as well.

<< Also is it worth a side trip into Cody >>

Some people will say yes to that, but I think you will find YNP so fascinating, endlessly so, that Cody can be missed without regrets.

<< is it feasible to see the lake area and then Canyon in 2 days and then move on to Roosevelt for 2 nights and view Mammonth with it. then move on to Old FAITHFUL FOR 2 DAYS >>

Absolutely doable, a good plan. Work on securing your lodging, that is always step #1. ENJOY!

9. Re: tetons and yellowstone question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...