We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assistance with an itinerary

Darling Downs...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Assistance with an itinerary

Hi there

Just wanting some ideas please on how to work out an itinerary. We will fly into Bozeman 21st of June 2014 and drive to Big Sky for the night. Sunday night I have a reservation in a cabin at Lake Lodges in the park. After this I am not sure which direction to go to fill in the next few days. We have 2 young children aged 7 and 3 by then, so we won't be able to do much hiking etc. I would like to include Cody so we could go to the night rodeo there and if I can fit it in would love to drive the Beartooth Highway. I am doing two nights in Jackson as I would like to do a 1/2 day rafting trip at some point and thought I could do it from there (on my own - leave kids behind!). Any advice would be appreciated as I keep looking at the map and drawing blank!

Sat - Big Sky

Leave Big Sky after breakfast and go to West Yellowstone and visit the Grizzy and Wolf Centre. Lunch in West Yellowstone.

Sun - YNP Lake Lodge

Mon -

Tue -

Wed -

Thur - Jackson

Fri - Jackson

Sat - Salt Lake City

Sun - Fly to San Diego

PA
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assistance with an itinerary

I know the experts will reply soon... by my opinion is to not try to include Beartooth Highway with the 2 young children. You have just 3 full days in Yellowstone & so much to see there. The drive up the Beartooth & including Cody is so much driving & time in the car for the little ones. My suggestion is to try & get lodging for the 3 open nights in the park. As others will tell you, nights open up all the time, so keep trying.

It will be a wonderful trip no matter what you choose (or don't choose) to do! Wonderful place!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,913 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assistance with an itinerary

Agree with bluehighwaysPA. Cancellations occur and lodging will open up in the park. Just keep checking Xanterra.

If you continue not to see anything then make reservations in West Yellowstone or Gardiner and be sure you can cancel. Many people will cancel their in park lodging a few days out because of the liberal 48 hr cancellation window thru Xanterra.

Here is a link to map and website for the most popular sights in the park-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Flying into Bozeman and out of SLC will entail a one way car rental drop fee but if you already have airfare and have checked car rentals then you probably know that.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assistance with an itinerary

I completely agree with BlueHighways and PeachBelle. There is a huge amount to see in Yellowstone, so I would leave out Cody and Beartooth this trip. There is a rodeo in Jackson you could see if you wanted to do one. Definitely do your raft trip from Jackson.

As your reservations stand now, I would probably try to get one more night at Lake and then 2 nights at Old Faithful area, using PeachBelle's suggestion on gateway hotels as a fall back. You have lots of time between now and then and something will come open.

Pam

Darling Downs...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assistance with an itinerary

Thanks. I have been wondering if driving out to Cody was worth it as we wouldn't go to the museums with kids anyway. Any advice on who to book rafting through near Jackson?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,913 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assistance with an itinerary

We like Barker Ewing for both scenic float trips on the Snake River and whitewater trips south of Jackson.

6. Re: Assistance with an itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:18