We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

I am heading to yellowstone for a few days from may 20-24 next year and was wondering which town is better to stay in? Thinking in terms of weather, entrance openings to yellowstone and distance?

I realise that these two are not the best gate cities to stay in, but if anyone could offer any advice that would be great .

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

or should i just stay in Gardiner, MT, United States?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,215 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

To tour Yellowstone, Cody is about 2 hours of travel time EACH way, so not a viable option from my point of view. Cooke City is well located for watching wildlife in Lamar Valley, but if it is your first time to the park (and I am guessing yes??) it puts you at quite a distance from other main sights like Old Faithful. It's 90 miles or so from the NE gate to Old Faithful, so in Yellowstone driving times, that is about 3 hours.

Gardiner is a better choice as is West Yellowstone if you are sure you don't want to stay in the park. If you have 5 nights in the park, I recommend 3 in West Yellowstone and 2 in Gardiner. If you stay in the park, then 2 at Old Faithful and 3 at one of the other venues.

BTW, weather the end of May can be iffy. It can be beautiful and spring-like or it can be a bit wintery. I've been in May a number of years and encountered both.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

Agree with Pam. Late May weather can be nice and warm like in 2007 or cold, snowy, roads closed like in 2008 when we came. Had a great trip both years.

West Yellowstone has a greater selection of lodging and restaurants if you choose to stay outside the park but in park lodging is best if you want to cut down on your drive times. Book in park lodging only thru Xanterra- keep checking if nothing available because lodging opens up all the time.

Good luck!!!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

We did the split that D0bby suggested and found it worked great. I also did the Cooke City one when I went solo to watch wildlife. But as noted, Cooke City is not close to the thermal activity. Cody is worth a visit if you have the time, the Buffalo Bill museum is awesome.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

At the time of year you are speaking about you may not even be able to get into the park from Cody. At least the road from either Gardiner or Cooke City is plowed. There are great places to stay in Cooke City or Silver Gate. ENJOY!

6. Re: Stay In Cooke City or Cody Wy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17