We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson to Yellowstone in March, possible???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Jackson to Yellowstone in March, possible???

Hey guys,

So I am in the middle of planning my honeymoon to the US with my husband and I've always wanted to go to Yellowstone. We are avid snowboarders and so we are thinking of heading to Jackson Hole to snowboard for a few days and I wanted to know if it was possible to drive to Yellowstone and do a day trip there in March 2014. I know that a lot of the park is closed in winter to cars. What would be the best thing to do? Are there any day/few day tours that leave from Jackson to Yellowstone? Any advice would be very helpful!!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson to Yellowstone in March, possible???

Xanterra only offers snowmobile/snowcoach tours inside Yellowstone Park from the south, west, and north entrances until March 1st or 2nd of 2014 (depending on the entrance.)

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/things-to-…

You can drive to the north entrance (Gardiner/Mammoth) and drive the road from Mammoth to Cooke City in a wheeled vehicle as that road is kept open year around. It would be a long drive from Jackson to Gardiner as you would have to go around the park the get there. You could not do it as a day trip.

There are some private companies that are authorized to take tours into Yellowstone during the winter. You might want to contact one of them that operate out of Jackson to see if they do any day tours in March from the south entrance. The reason I'm saying to do this is on the National Park Services website for Yellowstone Park it does say that the projected closing dates for snow travel inside the park are as follows:

March 1: East Entrance Road closes at 9:00 p.m.

March 2: Mammoth to Norris Junction closes at 9:00 p.m.

March 4: Norris Junction to Canyon and Norris Junction to Madison close at 9:00 p.m.

March 9: Canyon to Fishing Bridge closes at 9:00 p.m.

March 15: Remaining groomed roads close at 9:00 p.m.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

List of authorized private snowmobile and snowcoach companies:

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/wintbusn.htm

Deb

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson to Yellowstone in March, possible???

If you like to ski/board, than Big Sky Resort would be a good alternative to be able to visit Yellowstone and Ski. Big Sky is 2 hours NW of the entrance of YNP. However, to drive from Jackson Hole would be over 6.5 hours with the inner park roads closed. You would need a car to get from Jackson to Big Sky or Gardiner if you intend to split your time. Another alternative is to skip the skiing altogether in Big Sky (if you are still doing Jackson) but allow a few days at Chico Hot Springs, a great honeymoon stop and 45 N of the N entrance of Yellowstone! http://www.chicohotsprings.com/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson to Yellowstone in March, possible???

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. We are keen to stay in Jackson and snowboard at Jackson Hole and looks like we will be there about March 12th - 18th . Do you know of any tour companies that travel into Yellowstone during this time? I really want to go into the park but understand that a lot of roads close during March. We will have a car in Jackson and don't mind driving a while to be able to get a look inside the park. Thanks so much for your help!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson to Yellowstone in March, possible???

It is a six hour drive from Jackson to Gardiner on a good day. Allow 1-2 hours extra in winter. So it is not a day trip. After the entrances close during the various days in March, the only ones allowed in the park will be National Park Service staff. So, no, there are no tour companies that will be allowed in the park except those that will take you to watch wild life on the road that goes from Gardiner to Cook City. That road stays open year round.

5. Re: Jackson to Yellowstone in March, possible???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:16