We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

Shreveport...
7 posts
Save Topic
Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

Is there a best day of the week in June to find a spot in Slough Creek or Pebble Creek? Are there "slow" days. I'm sure weekends are typically the busiest and would fill up faster. Any input?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

Welcome to TA, Kelly!

Early morning is the most important factor with both campgrounds. Middle of the week might be better but that would be a question better answered by the camp hosts. Must grab a site fairly quickly & park in it! I then walk back to pay with fee envelope at the board.

Slough is very popular with the fishermen. There are even fishman reunions have met there every year for many years that fly matching flags!

The plus is that if Slough is full Pebble is not far. Although Pebble also takes early morning finesse.

And there is always Tower Fall as a back-up plan if you have a small enough rig for the hill & curve.

I usually recommend a reserved spot the first night if one is arriving latter part of the afternoon.

When in June?

From which entrance will you arrive? Around what time?

Edited: 02 January 2014, 00:25
Shreveport...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

Thanks for the quick reply. We are driving in from Louisiana and am just beginning to plan our trip. I think I am going to go ahead and book a site in Madison for the first three nights and then move to the other side of the park on day four.

The drive is 24 hours, which we will break up into two 12 hour driving days. That means we probably won't arrive at our site until late in the day. Even though Madison takes reservations, you can't reserve a specific site. I don't want to be stuck by the road for 3 nights. I guess we could always pack up and move to a different site before day 4 if that happens. Anyway, assuming that we stay at Madison for 3 days and it takes 2 days to get there, I was trying to figure out what day we should leave home so that we wouldn't be trying to get a spot at Slough/Pebble on a weekend.

Any other tips or suggestion especially about logistics are certainly appreciated. BTW we will be in a full size pickup. No camper/rv. We are tent folks ;-)

Shreveport...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

Oh and I am thinking probably midJune and we will use the east entrance.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 05:16
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

When you reserve online, there is a box where you can put special requests ( site #, loop, tent only loop (so no generators), etc)

You might want to post on the Road Trips forums for your overall trip:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

If you are coming in the east entrance, then Bridge Bay CG would be much closer than Madison. You do not want to drive in the park after dark since there are huge, dark animals on the roads. You might want to spend the night in Cody, then drive into the park in the morning.

Here's the park map with miles/minutes on it to give you a feel for how huge the park is & how slow the driving:

alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_map_pics/yel…

The maximum speed in the park is 45 MPH.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 14:12
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

<< early morning finesse >>

Heh heh, I like that, denalicat. That is indeed the key to getting a spot at either Slough or Pebble.

6. Re: Best day of the week to find a tent site in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 06:19