We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

In beginning to research, it seems that the Yellowstone Lodge is the only park lodging that offers internet service. (which is booked for the dates we want)

As much as I would love to be "free from distractions", unfortunately I am unable to.

Basically, we are looking at spending 3 days a YNP (doing as much stuff as we can. Hiking, horsebacking, photographing,etc) in August and is setting up "base camp" outside of YNP in a hotel so I can have internet service and driving each morning into YNP a) a mild inconvenience but you get to see so much great stuff each morning, b) a pain in the butt, or c) a logistical nightmare don't do it

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

My opinion is that it is no problem, however most on this forum will disagree with that. In 2000 I stayed in West Yellowstone for four nights and saw a great deal of the park. The driving distances to the north part of the park would be pretty long from West Yellowstone. About 2 hours or more to the east part of the park. The geyser areas are not that far from West Yellowstone. I simply do not remember which parts of the park that I saw in 2000, however, I simply don't remember thinking that the driving was a problem. Very early starts to your day would be required.

Depending on where you are coming from and how you are leaving, you might want to spend a night in Gardiner, Mt. which would provide closer times to the north part of the park. This July I will be spending three nights in West Yellowstone and two nights in Gardiner.

I would make hotel reservations as soon as possible. I made mine over Christmas and prices have already gone up and availability has gone down.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

Also, if you use the search option and type in staying in west Yellowstone, you will see numerous posts on this topic.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

Inside the park lodging is always in a state of change. Rooms that might show unavailable today, might well be open tomorrow. Xanterra's cancelation policy is very liberal. The best advice is to book what you can now, and keep checking for your preferences to open. The more accurate method is by phone rather than just on line. If you have the time and patience to do so, some even advocate checking right up until you leave for the airport!

Lodging inside or outside of the park is a personal matter. You will probably get as many opinions on that as you will get responses. There really is no right or wrong answer though. It is really up to the individual to make that decision, based on what they would like to get from their own experiences. With only three days though, I would have to favor the more central inside the park choice.

>"Doing as much stuff as we can"<

With only three days to spend visiting a park that covers as much land mass as the states of Delaware and Rhode Island combined, and contains over three hundred fifty miles of paved, public use roads, along with a thousand miles of hiking trails, I will offer one bit of advice. When planning your daily routines and activities for the park....."LESS IS MORE!" Sure, in three days one can drive around the park and pass most if not all of the major sites. They might even spot some wildlife, and spend some time in a "buffalo jam." However Yellowstone was never meant to be a "Drive through experience." Rather than even trying to see it all, Take the time to enjoy what you do see. I know that it sounds corny, but taking the time to "stop and smell the roses", or the sagebrush, will make for a much more enjoyable experience for everyone. It can also be a great incentive for planning that next, longer visit.

Enjoy!

Edited: 18 January 2014, 14:12
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

I will just add that if you are in to photography and want sunrise or sunset shots you need to be staying nearby. We dont recommend driving in Yellowstone in the dark because there are many animals in or near the road.

I, too, used to stay in West Yellowstone as I was always going over at the last minute. This past summer my friends here convinced me to stay in the park and I really enjoyed being near Old Faithful early in the AM.

Pam

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

In the park is the ideal, but it just doesn't work for everyone. I spent last summer in W. Yellowstone working at a hotel and there were a few people who relocated outside the park (even suffering the loss of their deposits on their in-park lodging- it was that important to them!) because they just weren't prepared for the rustic nature of their surroundings, or couldn't be without Internet. Now, having said that, let me also be clear that, at least as of summer 2013, Internet in West Yellowstone leaves something to be desired, too. There simply isn't enough bandwidth into the area to support everyone who wants to use it in the mornings and evenings and there were a lot of complaints and service calls made to fix an unfixable problem.

As far as I have experienced, Internet is available at Old Faithful, Canyon and Mammoth. It may not be in your room. It may not even be in the hotel/lodge lobby (at Mammoth, we had to go to the Terrace Grill), but it is offered (for a fee). If your needs consist of checking your email, it will probably suffice. If you need to have a high degree of connectivity, you may be sorely disappointed no matter where you stay. Just want to make sure you go in with your eyes open to the problems.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

Oh, that is interesting about the band width in West Yellowstone!

Pam

7. Re: outside/inside lodging? logistics, hassle...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:19