We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on Grant Village Campground

Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
695 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on Grant Village Campground

I am planning a trip to Yellowstone in June. I have been to Yellowstone numerous times and always stayed at Bridge Bay or Fishing Bridge (when we had a trailer). We have since sold our trailer and we are looking to tent camp. This time I think we are going to focus our trip on the Old Faithful and Canyon areas and forgo Tower and Mammoth. Since we are coming from the south, I thought we would try Grant Village Campground as our base because it is in between Canyon and OF and we can enjoy the Lake area while we are at our campsite. Here are some specific questions/concerns I have:

-How is it camping with bear boxes specifically at Grant? Are they big enough and plentiful enough? Are there suggestions that you have for easing the pain of storing your stuff in your car or bear boxes (i.e., buying food everyday at the stores so you don't have to store it, eating at the restaurants, bringing food that needs little cooking and clean up). We have a big stove that I'm not looking forward to setting up and taking down every meal. Would you suggest I go out and buy a smaller tabletop stove?

-How is Grant village in regards to beauty and amenities as compared to Canyon? I think the only reason we might want to go to Canyon instead would be its proximity to Hayden and Lamar Valleys for early morning wildlife searching. Is wildlife abundant near Grant? Are they fairly comparable campgrounds as far as amenities and campsite size and levelness? I've read that you get two free showers per day at Grant as part of the price you pay, but that is not the case at Canyon? Is that correct?

If you have stayed at both campgrounds would you please honestly rate your opinions of both on a scale of one to ten (ten being the BEST!)

Also, if you have done the Lonestar Geyser hike, please let me know what you thought of it. I know it says the roads are paved, but can you ride street bikes on them (or would it be more realistic to ride mountain bikes?) Is the road truly paved or more gravel? Same goes for the trail to the natural bridge. Is it paved or gravelly?

Is there anything that you would recommend doing in the Lake area (hikes, ranger led activities, cruises, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
63 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

I have tent camped both at Grant (once) and Canyon (three times). I feel they are comparable in terms of amenities and site quality. Both are mostly shady. But both have hundreds of sites, so size and configuration will vary slightly from site to site. When you make your reservations, be sure to specify tent size so you will get a tent area that is adequate for your needs. When solo camping, I use a small tent (just 5 ft by 8 ft), but I request a site for a SLIGHTLY larger tent so there is adequate space to stake out the ropes really well.

In all campgrounds at Yellowstone, I always keep all my food in my own car. I don't recall that there were many food boxes. I would doubt that there were enough for even 1/5 of campers to use them for "all" their food. More importantly for me, having my cooking equipment and food with me all the time provided the flexibility of cooking at picnic areas if I happened to be there at meal time. And the boxes are readily available to anyone who wants to help himself/herself. I believe that is not likely to be a problem, but I would not want to worry about that at all.

I have a two-burner propane stove that folds up and is easy to pack and carry. Coleman, Wal-Mart, and others make similar versions. It has been fine for me when both solo camping and when camping with my small family. I just planned meals that could be easily cooked on the two burners. You may want to consider moving to a smaller stove for convenience. I recall that propane stoves were allowed at all the picnic areas, not just the ones with grills provided. Again, that's convenient.

I prefer Canyon over Grant only for its proximity to Hayden and Lamar areas, and also to the Beartooth Highway. But that's just a personal preference due to location.

Happy travels!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

The trail to Lone Star is paved except for the last 100 yards or so. Pretty much any bike is fine. Most of the way is beside the Firehole river. Not terribly wide so ride in single file. You'll pass hikers and bikers going both directions.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

I camped in Grant many years ago, but now prefer all the others to be nearer to the classic wildlife sighting spots. I like Pelican Creek, Hayden Valley & Lamar for viewing wildlife. I drove through Grant CG 2 summers ago & it looks nice with the lake right there.

The bear boxes are scattered sporadically through the loops & are small. I have seen families that have brought their food & cooking equipment on an open cargo trailer have trouble cramming it all in. If another family had tried to use it, they would not have been able to do so. So you can't always count on one being by your campsite or vacant.

I keep everything in my vehicle.

Here is an old thread regarding bear boxes:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k38581…

I do know that there is a current program "Sponsor a Bear Box" for more bear boxes.

Interesting quote from Yellowstone Park Association:

"Why does Grant campground open so late?

Grizzly and black bears frequent this area in the springtime when cutthroat trout spawn in nearby streams. The late opening date -- usually near the end of June -- is an effort on the part of the National Park Service to protect both bears and visitors. In fact, the former tent campground located at Fishing Bridge, another favorite fishing spot for bears, closed permanently in 1989 due to human-bear conflicts. Over the past 14 years, the Yellowstone Park Foundation has supported several projects to help prevent human-bear conflicts including ranger-led educational programs, and signage to promote proper food storage among campers. Through the Sponsor a Bear Box campaign, we are currently raising funds to install bear-proof food storage boxes in campgrounds like Grant.

www.ypf.org/site/News2…

With a reservation campsite, ask for a tent-only loop. You can ask on the phone or type into the reservation box online. The tent-only loops are quieter with no generators. Also request a site with a bear box. Calling might better assure that.

Perhaps read through the reviews for Grant Campground:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60999-d2190…

I receive 2 shower tokens a day when I camp at Canyon. I always give my extras away to others waiting in line to buy.

I now request specific campsites when I do reserve since every campground has great sites & horrible sites. One never knows what they are going to get!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

How many are in your family? Regarding your question about food, I bring it ALL in from outside the park at a major town. Food in the general stores in the park is very limited & very expensive. What entrance to the park are you using?

As for stoves, I started with just using a tiny backpacking stove. However, now I bring our car camping 2 burner Coleman as it is so stable & easy to light. I always keep in in my truck with pots and often make my first cup of coffee or a pick-me-up cup at a wildlife viewing overlook.

I rarely eat a restaurants, maybe twice a week. I'd rather be out in the park.

How BIG is your stove???? What brand? I can't imagine a camping stove that big!

Cup-of-Soups are handy so as just needing to boil water for on the road lunches. Cooler with sandwich fixings.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

We just made our reservations for Grant Campground for August 2014. It will be our 4th time staying there. Because we are coming from Grand Teton we are choosing to stay in Grant CG for five nights before we move to another CG.

We love it....like the lay out of it, the showers and the laundry are five star.

It works for us and i cannot find anything negative to say about it.

Last year coming out of the laundry area we came upon five large elk grazing right behind the showers!

We like the area.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

Can't answer the camping questions, but I can contribute to the discussion re: Lonestar Geyser Trail and also about other things to do in the Lake area.

I've ridden my bike and also hiked to Lonestar. I ride a mountain bike, but wouldn't say it's necessary. A road bike should be fine. It is paved, but deteriorating in spots, bumpy, cracked, loose bits, etc. You must dismount and park your bike for that last 100 or so yards that YStoner mentions. There is a rack for it.

As far as the Lake Cruise, I finally took the ranger-narrated Lake Cruise last August and truly enjoyed it. I saw a different vantage point being out on the water and learned a lot from the narration. You can also rent a boat or take a chartered fishing expedition, but for me and my interests, the lake cruise was great.

Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

Oh wow, everyone! Thanks for the comments! I'm on my way to work now so I don't have time to comment other than to say thank you, thank you! Later tonight I will answer questions that have been asked.

Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

At first it was going to be just my husband and me and my two daughters, but now our daughter and son-in-law are coming as well. We have a large circular tent that's at least 12 x 12 so I should probably get the biggest site I can.

We will be coming from the south entrance because we are spending a few days in GT before we come. I thought Grant would be pretty convenient based on that.

We have a 3 burner self standing camp chef stove. It is awesome, but I don't think it's going to be very good for this particular trip. It's heavy and won't be easy to put away if its still at all hot. We will probably have to take two cars in order to fit all 6 of us and all our gear, which leads to another question. Do they allow two cars at a single campsite?

We will only take our Yukon XL for sightseeing day trips, but because we have the two extra people, we have to have the third seat set up in the back, which leaves less room for food stuffs (cooler, stove, Tupperware tubs with food supplies, and paper goods, plus the fact that we're going to have to bring enough food to feed six.

Anyway, your answers have been so great! Thank you for the information and if you think of anything further, or if you know if more than one car is allowed in a campsite, please post more.

9. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 01:18
Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions on Grant Village Campground

I'm thinking of buying a portable stove for this trip as I realize the Camp Chef will be a pain in the watoosie!