We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone for Families

NJ
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone for Families

Is this worth it or is planning your own way worth the additional steps? I'd be looking at the Monmouth to Old Faithful trip w a 10 yr old and 13 yr old.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone for Families

Sorry, it took me a minute to figure out your post. You're talking about this, right?

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/dealsandpa…

I think that from a cost perspective you would do better setting up your own trip. But it really depends on your style if you want to do the planning or have someone else do it for you. Personally, when touring the parks I prefer the flexibility of putting together my own itinerary. I can then add in a half-day or day-long guide tour of some specific are if I am so inclined.

NJ
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone for Families

Yeah that's the program I'm talking about. Just beginning to explore.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone for Families

If you want and prefer a vacation where everything is planned for you and you enjoy being a part of a group touring and learning activities the packages are a good deal. I can see the allure of packaged tours especially as it takes away the stress of planning transportation, lodging, and daily itineraries.

I have seen families on tours by the Yellowstone Association Institute and everyone seems to be really enjoying it. I prefer/like doing things on my own but have always thought it would be fun to go on one. It would give you some more options to explore if you decide to do most of the trip on your own. Their website is:

https://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/

Direct link to Summer 2014 Classes:

https:/…Summer2014_Catalog.06FINAL_Web.pdf

Deb

Edited: 15 February 2014, 18:47
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone for Families

Aha! Deb beat me to it, so I'll second her suggestion of looking at the Yellowstone Association. In the last year or two they have really started good programs for families. ENJOY!

Edited: 16 February 2014, 14:39
Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone for Families

We are going on a Yellowstone for Families trip in 2015. My sister and husband did one of their 4--day programs and raved about it, and she suggested this family itinerary for us. Our daughter will be 9 then. I think having it limited to families with children ages 8 - 11 will result in well-focused programs.

We thought of doing it on our own, having done several national parks that way. My sister urged us to do the program, saying that Yellowstone is overwhelming and doing it through the guided multi-day program resulted in them seeing all the highlights and not missing anything. With the family program, it sounds like we'll have 5 - 6 hours/day of organized programming, which I can handle. More than that is too much togetherness with other families.

The beauty of this program is being able to explore the park with my daughter and husband as a family - knowing that the activities will be appropriate for her and will hold her interest.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,668 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone for Families

Jen S, I realize your trip is not until 2015, but would you do a Trip Report when you get back? Would love to hear how the program went and what you liked. It would be really helpful to others who come doing a search for feedback.

Have fun!

Pam

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone for Families

I believe the Yellowstone for Families program is a joint venture between YA and Xanterra? So what the OP is looking at is the same thing as the Yellowstone Association program at the links provided.

Just wanted to say that I had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know one of the instructors who leads this program in the summers and can definitely see the benefits of taking this tour for a family with children along. While I, myself, am a self-touring kind of traveler, I recognize that there are benefits to having someone who not only knows the landscape and can help you hit the ground running, but also someone who is trained to cater to the varying needs of children and adults.

If you're interested in a guided tour, I'd recommend this one, based on what I've seen.

8. Re: Yellowstone for Families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 07:17