We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

Hi... We are a group of 4 and would be traveling to Yellowstone National Park on the Memorial Day weekend. We are traveling from St. Louis on May 22nd and would be reaching Salt Lake City in the midnight of May 22nd. We would again come back to Salt Lake city to board a return flight to Saint Louis on May 26th evening. This is the duration we have and we would like to cover YNP and also GTNP. I know this is quite a small window but can you please suggest us as to how could we plan our trip effectively and also on the accommodation. This is our first time to YNP. We are all of the age between 25-40 and everyone are male. Hope to hear from you in affirmative.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

If you are landing in SLC around midnight, then I would spend the night there and get an early start on the 23rd.

May 23 - Go to Jackson for the first night. You will have about a 5 hour drive to Jackson, so if you leave early you should get there by early afternoon and can see some of the park that afternoon.

May 24th - drive into Yellowstone and spend the next 2 nights at West Yellowstone. Do the Old Faithful area on your way to West Yellowstone along with as many of the geyser basins you pass as you can fit into your time. Overnight West Yellowstone

May 25 - Drive in to Yellowstone and do the Upper Loop taking in Mammoth, Lamar Valley and the North and South Rims of the Canyon area. The road between Tower Roosevelt Jct and Canyon usually opens that weekend. Ask at the West entry gate if it has opened so you will know if you can do the whole upper loop. Overnight West Yellowstone

May 26 - Leave for SLC. You will have a 5-5.5 hour drive. Make sure to check the weather and leave yourself plenty of time to get back. You will drive US20 to Idaho Falls where you will pick up I15 down to SLC.

We usually suggest people stay in lodging in the parks just to cut down on your travel time. I am suggesting West Yellowstone for you as it will position you better for your exit to SLC on the day of your flight. You could try to get lodging at Old Faithful for the night of the 24th and then move to West Yellowstone for the 25, but I thought it would just be easier for you not to change lodging.

We also recommend you do NOT drive in either park after dark. There are lots of big animals all over the roads and it is dangerous driving for you and them! Here is a link to your sunset times. www.sunrisesunset.com

Here is a link to the park map you will get at the entrance. We suggest you double your miles to get the approximate time it will take to drive, for example 14 miles = 28 minutes without stops for scenery or wildlife.

www.nps.gov/yell

Pam

Edited: 21 March 2014, 22:50
Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

Thanks dobby for the suggestion. The itinerary and the info was really very helpful. Will let you know if i need anything else.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

HI Dobby.. i have a query here.... while you say to stay in teh park itslef. we were checking for the accomodation in the park at the old faithful and other noted stays inside the park but all seem to be full and booked. So can you please help us out on the accomodation outside the park but yet nearer to the park so that we can commute easily. And also we were planning to stay one night at the west yellowstone and the other night at any hotel nearby Cody which is to the east so that we need come all the way to west yellowstone if were to cover the eastern side of the park. Please suggest if this is advisable or not?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

No. I would not advise staying in Cody with your short time frame. It is actually faster to get to the Canyon area from West Yellowstone than from Cody. I would do the 2 nights in West Yellowstone.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

Ok Dobby. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

The other lodging option is to stay in Gardiner which is just outside the park near Mamouth Hot springs.

As for your itinerary Id suggest:

23rd SLC to Jackson, PM Grand teton, night in Jackson

24th early AM Grand Teton (Ox Bow area), then ret of the day in yellowstone in the old faithful area..night in Gardiner

25th Mamouth Hot springs Area, late PM/early evening in Lamar Valley....night in gardiner or West Yellowstone

26th...unsure when return flight is....its 5 hrs to SLC from west yellowstone. If the flight is at 6pm you need to leave around 11:30am. You should have the am to see part of the park before you go.

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

Thanks Dan for the suggestion.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

Cancellations occur for in-park lodging pretty much daily. Keep trying. Lodging inside the park really cuts driving times, especially important when you realize that you don't want to be driving in the dark for safety reasons. ENJOY!

9. Re: Yellowstone National Park Trip in May End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16