We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

We have a large RV, so we need reservations to ensure that we will have a place to camp/fit each night versus the FCFS campgrounds that accommodate smaller units. While some FCFS have larger spaces, its a crapshoot hoping that one large space will vacate and we will get it.

With that...we will have 4-6 nights to stay in Yellowstone. We will be coming from 3 nights in Grand Teton. We are trying to decide if we should set up camp at Fishing Bridge the entire time, or split time between Fishing Bridge RV Park and West Yellowstone (Grizzly RV Park). We have a tow vehicle, so we will not be site seeing in an RV.

DE's what do you think? Obviously we will see the East side of Yellowstone with at Fishing Bridge. Should we move to West Yellowstone and travel in each day to see the West parts of Yellowstone or just stay put at Fishing Bridge? We will be arriving the second week of June.

Thanks so much.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

How many days do you have in Yellowstone?

Basing out of two campgrounds will help decrease windshield time getting to and from the attractions. Backtracking is not necessarily a bad thing though as it increases the odds of seeing wildlife but it also cuts into your time at attractions if your visit is short.

If you want to spend some quality time in the geyser basins staying in West Yellowstone for part of the trip makes sense.

Deb

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

We have open availability to be there 4-6 nights. We do want to see the geyser basin. I just was not sure if it made more sense to drive to the geyser basin area a few days from W Yellowstone or to stay put in Fishing Bridge.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

How are your driving out of the park? Seems like you would be heading to the west side to leave for California.

Splitting your time, first at Fishing Bridge, then at Grizzly seems perfect. I camp & split my time among 2 or 3 campgrounds each visit.

If you have children, West Yellowstone has the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center:

www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.com/index.php…

Edited: 26 March 2014, 12:38
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

I agree with the above opinions that splitting your time would be wise. From West Yellowstone, you'll have easier access to the upper loop west side, Norris, etc. And Grizzly RV Park will seem like the Hilton compared to the Fishing Bridge Parking Lot, I mean campground.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

Perfect! That is what I was leaning towards too, but you just never know until you have been there! We do have a small child, so I will add the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center to our list of things to see!

Thanks everyone.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

Hope you'll come back with a trip report to let us know how Fishing Bridge RV & Grizzly worked out for you!

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

We stayed 3 nights each at Fishing Bridge and Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone and it worked great for us. 2 different mornings going into the park from West Yellowstone we saw a bull elk with 10-12 cows along the Madison River and once in the late afternoon. Really cool to hear the bull bugling. We went to Lake Butte Overlook 2 times to watch the sun set. Its east of Fishing Bridge on the north east side of Yellowstone Lake. Fabulous view for sun set. Be careful driving back in the dark. We were going slow but came up behind a bison in the road-they're hard to see in the dark!

8. Re: Split time? Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:16