We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone to Park City via bear sanctuary in Rexburg

Leigh on Sea
Level Contributor
25 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone to Park City via bear sanctuary in Rexburg

Hello

We are leaving Lake Hotel and need to get to Park City that late afternoon/evening in August.

This was all fine until I discovered a bear sanctuary in Rexburg, Idaho that I would love to stop at.

My question is; can we do this and fit it all in during one day (I don't want to change hotel reservations) or would it be madness? I know we"d have to change the planned route (was going to travel via Bear Lake), or do you recommend the scenic route to Park City and forego the sanctuary?

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

Deborah

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone to Park City via bear sanctuary in Rexburg

If you are speaking about Bear World in Rexburg, it is a stay in your car and drive through experience, with the opportunity to get out at the end to view some small cubs if you get there during the right time to see this. They charge extra if you want to "hold one", and they also charge extra for a ride on their own vehicle so that you can "throw" food off the side of the bus to "begging" bears. Not exactly great stewardship IMHO, and a little depressing especially after seeing these same animals in their glory in YNP. Again, just my opinion - if you have small children that haven't experienced bears or didn't get to see them, they might enjoy it. The entire experience shouldn't take you more than an hour if you want to do this. So add that to your current agenda and you can factor in if the additional hour will make an impact on your plans.

If you want a better educational experience that is very well done, I would visit the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone, and you could do it as a one day break from visiting the W end of the park versus driving all the way out from Lake. Personally, I would not leave through the West entrance if I am staying at Lake, as it is added time to an already long day.

www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.com/index.php…

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone to Park City via bear sanctuary in Rexburg

Figure eight hours (big plus or minus) from Lake Hotel through W. Yellowstone and SLC to Park City. I also agree with BBD that the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in W. Yellowstone is the choice over the place in Rexburg. ENJOY!

Leigh on Sea
Level Contributor
25 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone to Park City via bear sanctuary in Rexburg

Thank you BBD and Bill for both of your replies. I was wondering from the sound of it that a visit to Bear World could be unethical and maybe not the best plan, I have to resist the urge. Your answers make complete sense and thanks for the link BBD, I hadn't come across the Discovery Centre. This looks very worth a visit and I must admit I was a little concerned about leaving through the West entrance when I'd already planned to leave through the South entrance. I think when we get to Yellowstone we'll be overwhelmed with the scale, at the moment it's hard to imagine how things will be. You do a great deed for travellers and this has certainly made up my mind. My husband says thanks as he didn't want to make that additional drive.

4. Re: Yellowstone to Park City via bear sanctuary in Rexburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 06:15