We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canyon to west thumb

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Topic
canyon to west thumb

this is the route for our last day in YNP what would you all do and see and where would u all pick to have lunch/dinner

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: canyon to west thumb

If you haven't bought Yellowstone Treasure by Janet Chapple I highly recommend it for you.

The book gives a fantastic outline of mile to mile for every road segment inside Yellowstone Park with detailed information of what you will see and can do on each segment. There is also a lot of pictures and historical information in the book. The book would answer the majority of your questions and it is a resource that you can carry with you in your car and consult immediately if your plans need to change.

Deb

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: canyon to west thumb

I have looked at this book and fund it very confusing :(

North Carolina...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: canyon to west thumb

Tom - I was the same exact way. I've had the book for months and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. Finally yesterday I got it. I decided to start in the book from the South entrance because that is the way we are coming into the park. Then I studied the map within that section of the park to get a feel for where everything is. From there it became much easier to understand. Now I am just using the book to go around the park the way we are planning and dividing it that way. Maybe this will help? Seriously - it was like a baby learning to walk. I really just didn't get the book and then BLAM! I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!!

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: canyon to west thumb

Thanks mom I will approach rhe book like u have said ....I jvr thought about doing it that way thank u

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canyon to west thumb

I would pick one of the places in the Lake village for lunch. You could also take the scenic boat ride at Bridge Bay marina while you're in the area - it's just an hour long, quite affordable, and very informative.

JMO, but I would look at the YNP map on the NPS website and plan my own route according to my own interests, rather than trying to follow a mile-by-mile route laid out by someone else. I traveled with a relative a few years ago who had her nose stuck in her guidebook the whole trip, while I actually was able to look at the things she was reading about....just my personal experience.....

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canyon to west thumb

I have found this web site to be excellent in terms of planning what I want to do:

www.youryellowstonevacation.com/index.php…

It gives information by region. It tells you almost everything that you can do or see in a region and the time that it takes to do it. Also shows all of the dining options including picnic spots in a region.

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: canyon to west thumb

To be honest I just dont see alot of things on any map to really do around the lake..I think well proably just drive down to fishing bridge have lunch than back up to canyon or drive straight through to old faithfull again

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: canyon to west thumb

I highly recommend going a tad further than just Fishing Bridge, stopping to walk inside Lake Hotel, out the lake side to see the view. The historic architecture is magnificent:

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodging/…

You can download the lunch menu here:

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/dining/…

It's a lovely dining room or you can simply sit for a while & enjoy the atrium. There is also a snack shop with sandwiches, coffee, etc in the hotel.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 14:17
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: canyon to west thumb

I always suggest people park and walk across Fishing Bridge. You are not looking at the bridge per se, but there are good opportunities for wildlife watching from there, possibly otters, bald or golden eagles, white pelican, muskrat as well as bear and bison and the fish in the river.

Pam

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: canyon to west thumb

thanks denali I was thinkin of making the day be about canyon waking up early and getting to Grandview point and inspiration point early enough to catch the sunrise and then have breakfast and then head back to upper brink and then since we alrdy would have driven the upper rim for the sunrise photos well then just circle back to south rim drive and catch those highligths there and then head south to fishing bridge. on our ay there wel stop and the highlights along the way then make it to the rapids and then maybe have dinner at lake hotel