We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mammoth Hot Springs Cabin or Hotel

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Mammoth Hot Springs Cabin or Hotel

Hi,

Being frugal I am attracted by the price of the Mammoth Hot Springs budget cabins with shared bathroom ($90+++) or the hotel room with shared bathroom ($90+++). Am I likely to encounter a bear or an elk on my midnight rambles to the bathroom from a cabin? Should I stay in the hotel just to be safe?

There are four of us but we need two separate bedrooms. The 2 bedroom cabin doesn't have an ensuite. Are there any other cabins that aren't advertised that anyone knows about?

I can't find anything in Gardiner to match those prices,

Edited: 19 April 2014, 05:04
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mammoth Hot Springs Cabin or Hotel

I can't answer your question as we're making our first trip to YNP next year. However, I can relate. I'm afraid to stay somewhere where I'd have to venture out to the restroom at night because of the wildlife. If I'd encounter some big animal, I probably wouldn't need the bathroom anymore!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
817 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mammoth Hot Springs Cabin or Hotel

Elk are one of the main draws of Mammoth and you'll pretty much definitely see them, so yes, be prepared to encounter them especially at dusk and dawn - and be careful when rounding buildings not to accidentally startle them. Don't get too close, and never get into a situation where you accidentally block them from being able to move away from you. I will emphasize that seeing the evening Elk arrival at Mammoth (and seeing them hanging out when we got up at the crack of dawn to head to Lamar Valley on a tour) was one of my most memorable Yellowstone experiences, and I'd hate for you to be too nervous as long as you see them safely.

You're probably far less likely to have a bear encounter, but obviously they're around. I never saw either bear species, but you never know.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
585 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mammoth Hot Springs Cabin or Hotel

I spent 3 summers working in the park, my first two in a cabin without a bathroom. While it was at Roosevelt, I never saw any wildlife while I was making my way up to the restroom. I stayed at Mammoth during training in those cabins without bath for about 4 months total and never had an issue with the wildlife. They usually don't hang around in the cabin area.

I do remember a bison wandering through but I just kept my distance and he didn't even stop eating the grass to notice me :)

I prefer the feel of cabins, they have parking close by and a nice little porch with some chairs to enjoy the evening/morning hours.

4. Re: Mammoth Hot Springs Cabin or Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16