We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Canyon Questions

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Canyon Questions

Could someone give me an idea of how long each of these would take to do:

1. Brink of Upper Falls Trail

2. Red Rock Point Trail

3. Brink of Lower Falls Trail

I believe that I have already decided not to do Uncle Tom's Trail.

Tis would be in late July 2014

Edited: 19 April 2014, 14:10
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

I would think that would be a hard question to answer because there are so many variables. Some people are slower walkers than others, some people like to stop more often to just take in the beauty of the area and take pictures, some people like to spend time at the end of the trail before walking back. Other people walk to the lookout, take a look for a minute and immediately turn around to go back to their car.

It is the same thing in the Old Faithful Geyser Basin....it might take me 2 hours to walk a certain loop there where another person it takes them 4 hours, and another person it only takes them 1 hour.

My recommendation is not to schedule yourself so tight you have to worry about how long each individual activity will take you because you have to get to the next activity on your schedule.

Deb

Edited: 19 April 2014, 16:16
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

It's annoying that the np site only gives you distances and not times but I do understand it is variable.

Have you seen this site?

gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-yellowstone-n…

It gives fairly variable times, but it may help.

Not sure the exact hikes you mentioned are on there because I'm on my mobile!

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

everytrail.com/guide/uncle-toms-trail-yellow…

Just the one you don't want I have found! This site at least gives rough times for the walks it lists.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

Thanks for the help. Maybe someone will see this overnight.

This is a site that is excellent for giving lots of times:

www.youryellowstonevacation.com/index.php…

Times for these trails weren't listed.

I plan on spending the entire day at Canyon coming from West Yellowstone and returning there.

Deb 1741, after reading Trip Advisor for a year, I know that you can't over plan. I know that you have to go with the flow. Nevertheless, I am a planner and can't just go down the road trying to figure where to stop next.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

I think the reason some of these aren't listed is that they aren't trails per se. They are walks to overlooks. For instance the trail to the Brink of the Upper Falls has a bunch of switchbacks. Hiking times for me would vary from year to year depending on how fit I am, how acclimated I am as it's about 8000' to start and other things. I can also say I have never noticed how long it would take me to do them. I usually figure a half a day for the Canyon area. Combined with the sights down to Fishing Bridge I usually figure a whole day on that section.

As Deb said it may take someone 3 hours to see a sight that someone else may finish up in an hour. You may be enthralled with Canyon and want to do every overlook or the folks in your party may be done after a quick look at each waterfall and be ready to move on. You all might spot a grizzly and cubs in Hayden and watch them for hours and have to cut some other part of your plan for the day.

Pam

Edited: 20 April 2014, 04:05
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

This guy did some of those you mentioned and others before lunch:

www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

"In the AM we hiked the south rim of the Yellowstone Grand Canyon, Upper Falls, Lower Falls, Uncle Tom's Trail, and Artist Point, and North Rim at Brink of Upper Falls. After lunch we drove down to Norris Geysers. Yellowstone is massive."

Edited: 20 April 2014, 12:37
Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

I guess that I was trying to get ball park times for the average person. For example are they 3 hour walks or 1 hour walks. If they are closer to 3 hours, then I am not sure that I want to spend the time doing them.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

This may be a help to any of you doing planning like me. While planning my Canyon Day, I came across this wonderful virtual tour of Canyon on the NPS …nps.gov/yell/features/canyontour/index.htm

Edited: 20 April 2014, 14:04
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
756 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

The one I still do when I go through is Brink of Lower Falls. It's a big drop down in there so coming out some people will take a considerable amount of time while others might enjoy the aerobic workout. Is it 600' vertical rise back to car?

It's great to plan everything down to the last minute...until you are somewhere wanting more minutes. Enjoy the treasure of punting every once in a while.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring Canyon Questions

Ok Roy. Just for you I stopped in at the Canyon Visitor Center this afternoon. The Ranger I spoke with said he usually estimates it takes visitors 20 minutes to go down and back on the 58 steps to the Brink of the Upper Falls. He estimated it is 3/8 of a mile for the Brink of the Lower Falls and takes people an average of 45 minutes. Both viewpoints are still closed as the trails are snow covered so I could not compare those times to mine.

Pam